Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fishless GT trip report
January 18, 2010, 09:11:37 AM
Me and my mate wazza left scarborough yesterday morning at 4am and were over at Hutchies for just after first light (lets call it second or third light ;D).

There is a specific bit of reef there I wanted to fish, we located it quickly using the Humminbird side imager and there was a school of sauries rippling on top. We popped it for a good 2 hours with large Fullscales, I cups and Ulua stickbaits. It had a fishy feeling and each cast felt like it might get whacked. When the sun actually started getting into the water we could see a large school of tangs and a large school of batfish. But realistically there was probably too much boat traffic, at one point I counted 39 boats. What an armada! most of these were trolling first up and then fishing deep. I didn't hear or see much action from the fleet there, but in the trench some of the bigger game boats were getting a little action but not as much as those off the sunny coast.

We wrote off the GT's and went and checked a cobia spot. We were unsuccessful there and sped home. Halfway back we stopped for a toilet break and a school of spotties swam under the boat. We got 8 in 45 minutes, made a sporting declaration ;D and went home too wash the boat. Mental note, in future chase spotties in your mates boat!! ;D There was blood and spotties scales everywhere!!

Geoff Volter
Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:13:16 AM by Geoff Volter

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Fishless GT trip report
January 18, 2010, 09:28:43 AM
Mental note, in future chase spotties in your mates boat!! ;D There was blood and spotties scales everywhere!!

hahahaha, don't they make a mess

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 18, 2010, 09:43:47 AM
The Hutchies popping thing is frustrating :-\, I have popped it for many an hour for nil, once had a boat near me pull a 30kg GT trolling. During the week in non-holiday time is the only time I will venture there for obvious reasons  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Phillips

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 18, 2010, 08:15:50 PM
We went out Saturday off Straddie, lost one early on popper before all the boats turned up, but got one about 10.30 once all the boats decided to go trolling..
Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:17:55 PM by Andrew Phillips

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 18, 2010, 08:52:12 PM
Is that a lucanus-looking jig?

PS- well done. ;D I consider these hard yards as a down payment on the next GT! :o

Andrew Phillips

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 18, 2010, 09:21:28 PM
Yah certainly is, couldn't raise another one once all the boat traffic started up.  60g lucanis jig with the world's smallest hooks.

Andrew

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 24, 2010, 11:05:15 PM
thats one black gt
PoPpInG mAd