Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sebile Poppers
December 27, 2009, 06:26:40 PM
Has anyone come across these in Australia. saw one on Nomad that a client had left Damon that he raved about and it certainly looked interesting. Know I can get them from USA but web site for manufacturer is in French - would be interested in finding if they are available in Australia (certainly not in NZ!)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Sebile Poppers
December 27, 2009, 06:56:16 PM
Has anyone come across these in Australia. saw one on Nomad that a client had left Damon that he raved about and it certainly looked interesting. Know I can get them from USA but web site for manufacturer is in French - would be interested in finding if they are available in Australia (certainly not in NZ!)

Haven't used them but first heard of them in a trip report where Patrick Sebile (owner of the company) was using them on a Nomad charter.  I'd say he's the "client" that left one behind... :D ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 29, 2009, 06:15:00 PM
I think the love affair has worn off completely now.

Damon took a few on the trip we went to NC but we gave him such a hard time about one of them (it had this red liquid that looked like blood sloshing around the inside of a transparent lure) that he didn't use it. He did use the biggest popper a fair bit and I have to admit it is probably the best beginner's poppers I have ever seen. All you have to do is twitch the rod tip and it creates  a big boof. the problem is that no respectable GT angler is going to be able to sit there just twitching the rod tip with a popper on the end and Damon would, after a couple of casts, try to give it the good old rip. Every time he did this, he got the lure in aerial mode    :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 29, 2009, 07:49:46 PM
I think the love affair has worn off completely now.

Damon took a few on the trip we went to NC but we gave him such a hard time about one of them (it had this red liquid that looked like blood sloshing around the inside of a transparent lure) that he didn't use it. He did use the biggest popper a fair bit and I have to admit it is probably the best beginner's poppers I have ever seen. All you have to do is twitch the rod tip and it creates  a big boof. the problem is that no respectable GT angler is going to be able to sit there just twitching the rod tip with a popper on the end and Damon would, after a couple of casts, try to give it the good old rip. Every time he did this, he got the lure in aerial mode    :D

Ahahahahaha - thanks for telling it like it is :)

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 29, 2009, 10:06:08 PM
Hi Guys,

I was on the same Nomad trip as Patrick Sebile.  He gave away a lot of lures to the other guests.  I gave the big popper a go and would agree with Brandon's take.  It works well enough in calm conditions but I like to get a bit of fizz into my poppers and work them at a decent pace so it didn't really suit me.  To be fair to Patrick he designed the lure to be really easy to pop - which it certainly is.  One thing that did impress me about the lure was just how hard the plastic its made of is. I reckon I caught around 10 GT's to just short of 30kg on the lure but they hardly left a scratch - should translate into a good hook-up ratio....would leave a lure a bit short of nice battle scars for the tackle shed wall though  :)

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 30, 2009, 05:03:58 PM
Thanks for that guys. I don`t think I'll perservere with my efforts after that ! The plastic coating would certainly detract from the trophy aspect !