Jim Squibb

popping around great keppel island
January 02, 2010, 12:31:28 PM
 Hi guys
 i was wondering if any one has done any popping around great keppel island and if so recomend some spots to try, i will be at kinka beach for a week in feb and want to try and catch a few GTs while i am there.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: popping around great keppel island
January 02, 2010, 02:32:03 PM
Hi Jim, have you chased gts much before? The beauty with fishing for them, as opposed to say reefies, is that you can pick the spots youll find them pretty easy. Figuring out the times of day when theyll be at the spots and feeding is the tricky part you need to invest the time in. Theres gts out around the keppels, some days youll rustle up a few and others youll go all day without a strike. To give yourself the best chance try and get out early midweek when its quietest, youll see the spots when you get out there, generally on the seaward edges. Watch out for green zones.

Jim Squibb

January 02, 2010, 04:05:06 PM
hi Travis
 i have only been out chasing GTs on the one coral sea trip and it wasn't to difficult to find them out there.  i was wondering if any one has had any luck around keppel island and where they had there luck.i will have a good look around the seaward edges anyway but i will only be there for a week and was hopeing to get a bit of info to make it a bit easer. i have all ready found out where the green zones are they also come up on the marine charts on my gps, i dont want to end up in them.

cheers jim

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 03, 2010, 09:01:14 AM
Hi Jim,
The fundamentals are always the same, look for points or bommies with plenty of run and deep water adjacent. I would probably downsize a bit compared to the coral sea. There are plenty of choices. it's hard to give you exact spots as they seem to be a bit flukey and move about. Basically the major corners on GKI and surrounding islands are a good start. It depend on tide and wind as to exact locations. Barren Island is pretty reliable.

Cubera 150's and river to sea dumbell 200's are heaps big enough.
February is notoriously bad weather so bring a bit of light gear for the creeks as well.

Jim Squibb

January 03, 2010, 11:31:41 AM
Hi Jim,
The fundamentals are always the same, look for points or bommies with plenty of run and deep water adjacent. I would probably downsize a bit compared to the coral sea. There are plenty of choices. it's hard to give you exact spots as they seem to be a bit flukey and move about. Basically the major corners on GKI and surrounding islands are a good start. It depend on tide and wind as to exact locations. Barren Island is pretty reliable.

Cubera 150's and river to sea dumbell 200's are heaps big enough.
February is notoriously bad weather so bring a bit of light gear for the creeks as well.

thanks graham