John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fishing Tonga From Hawaii
December 15, 2009, 06:22:23 PM
Can anyone help me on this one?  I've never been on a strictly plugging trip before.  I'm looking to do three days of boat plugging and three days of shore plugging in Tonga.  The problem I'm having is I'm not sure when the best time of year to go would be, how to get there from Hawaii specifically Oahu, and what should be on my must have packing list.  Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Joey Tun

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Fishing Tonga From Hawaii
December 30, 2009, 11:50:20 PM
Hi John, I don't have a lot of knowledge about Tonga. But here is the Shimano JP movie in Tonga.
If you haven't seen it, you'll probably should. Especially the part where the guide talks about their waters..
hope that helps..

http://tv.shimano.co.jp/movie/tv/paradise_15/

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2009, 12:48:15 AM
Contact Kurt Carlson , he is the resident GT fishing in Tonga , his email : [email protected]

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kurt Carlson

December 31, 2009, 06:24:24 PM
Hi John,
Which part of Tonga are you planning on visiting?  It is great to hear from Hawaiian anglers.  I live in the mid-Northern part of Tonga called Vava'u.  I spent most of my life in Hawaii living on Oahu and Maui.  I have a GT charter business in Vava'u and would be happy to help you find what you are looking for no matter which Tongan island group you are looking to visit.  A good friend of mine is the boat mechanic on the TV show Hawaii goes Fishing.  I think that is what it is called.  It is the show that took over from Let's Go Fishing.  I still remember that show with Bruce Carter then Harry Kojima.  I am starting to show my age.  Give me a shout and I will be happy to help.

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2010, 11:40:17 AM
Hey Kurt,
Not sure exactly which part, thats the whole problem, I'm just trying to get a feel for how things work.  This would be my first major fishing traveling trip, so I'm not sure how to go about finding flights, finding accomodations, and transportation once there. I could do christmas island plugging for GT's but that trip would be more GT's and fly fishing for bonefish, I don't own fly gear or a jigging rod so that trip may be a waste.  I own a plugging set-up and a medium gear set-up so I figure a trip to tonga would be a better fishing trip and bargin for me.