steve wallin

Saltiga Schematics
January 05, 2010, 05:56:59 PM
Well its been a hectic 10 days or so since christmas... weather has been sweet and been out there amongst em.

5 trips with stonking GTs on sticks, poppered cod and trout, big reds from the deep with the ol' grey coats that chase em... the wind is now picking up so I get a chance to do some maintenance!

I have a SA 600GT and SA 6500EXP for poppering / jigging and bottom bashing.
Both been well hammered and need a bit of love.

I have carbontex drags on order... and will do a strip clean and regrease BUT
the schematic from the Daiwa website is abysmal... the image is pixelated.
Im sure I will work it out if not but does anyone have a sharp schematic for above reels?

Many thanks
Steve

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Saltiga Schematics
January 05, 2010, 06:00:26 PM
Well where's the trip reports and photos then!  ;)

I'd imagine they are very similar to the dogfights so if it's just the drag you want to take care of then just sit down and get into it, very easy.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 05, 2010, 06:30:43 PM
Personally for that kind of maintenance work I'd send it away to Daiwa.... but that's just me, gives me some piece of mind, I'd hate to have something go wrong later down the track if I hadn't put it together quite right.

Ditto what Travis said - let's see the reports  ;D

steve wallin

January 05, 2010, 06:40:12 PM
If I sent 'em to Daiwa the weather will drop!!!!
I use to do reels for a tackle store years ago in Sydney so Im happy to do the work - from the schematic I have its nothing special?

GT trip reports without photos suck...

Fishing solo mostly so sexy photos are difficult.  And I dont really like lifting Gs if I can help it.  Any fish not worth measuring gets released boat side staying in the water?

I do have a piccy of my pb (for now) G caught boxing day in the kill pen of the boat before it was measured and released... it went 125cm fork length.  The picture doesnt do the fish justice though.

Will see what I can dig up!

Steve

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 05, 2010, 06:43:13 PM

I do have a piccy of my pb (for now) G caught boxing day in the kill pen of the boat before it was measured and released... it went 125cm fork length.  The picture doesnt do the fish justice though.

Nice... that would be about 40kg?

steve wallin

January 05, 2010, 07:03:07 PM
Was pretty solid sliding him into the tank thats for sure!!!
Certainly saw some bigger fish deep down when landing the three 15kg rats before the big one.

Was a nice session - only lasted an hour or so before the run slowed and Gs moved off. Either that or I scared enough of them to spook the school. Dunno? The bait was still around but less nervous.  Still working them out up here but I have 4 good presssure points for different tides all within 15 miles of the ramp. And still searching!

Anyways time for a beer

S

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 05, 2010, 08:35:07 PM
Steve - if the drag in the 6000GT and 65000EXP are the same as the Dogfights it goes like this

-Remove drag cap
-Remove hexagonal metal clip from recess
-Remove metal ratchet cap, shouldn't be difficult - may need a small screwdriver or something to help lift it but it shouldn't be tight.
-That should give you access to the stack of drag washers which should slip out with a bit of assistance (whacking spool on hand etc)

Two of the washers have tabs on the outside that line up with grooves in the edge of the spool and two of them have the hole in the middle shaped so that it only fits one way over the shaft.  Just makes sure these line up when reassembling the stack.  From what i've read the washers should be very lightly greased (Nomad site says lightly enough to not leave a fingerprint for the carbonetex versions).

That's it, no different - beside the ratchet cap, to the drag in my cheap shimano reels.  The Stellas look somewhat more complicated - I haven't been brave enough to open that one up yet.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 05, 2010, 09:16:53 PM
Steve?you can get the schematics for the reels off the plat website under their repair, original parts bit. They don't give names of the parts.
AKA: Sunny

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2010, 04:40:07 AM
This is a great site for reel schematics: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/displayimage.php?album=24&pos=697

Good luck !

Serge.

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2010, 05:57:22 AM
Google Daiwa.  Then go to the repair/service tab.  Then click on schematics.  If I remember, it's SA 6000.

Aaron Concord

January 06, 2010, 08:01:55 AM
When pulling the gear box apart, Daiwa use torque wrenches to apply the correct (whatever this is?) amount of tension on all screws.
They are also careful to make sure that when taking the main gear out off the pinion, that when reassembled the teeth are realigned spot on.

If the above precautions are not done, along with stacking the correct amount of shims either side of the main gear, you will end up with a noisy gear box.
I'm also wary of some people's attempts at refitting gearbox seals too!

I send my top end Shimanos & Daiwas back to the relevant service department for piece of mind.

I have no qualms in servicing any reel, though I'd rather someone strip it and reassemble something that needs a bit more specialized tuning.

steve wallin

January 06, 2010, 01:11:16 PM
Thanks all for tips and links...
seems the pixelated diagram is all thats available online.

Regards,
Steve

steve wallin

February 10, 2010, 05:09:07 PM
Just to finish this post off...
cleaned and serviced saltigas, Carbontex drags with Cals, Quantum hot sauce on the bearings, used cals in the gbox.

Feels like new, drag is smooth  and strong.

Had no problems pulling big largemouth and reef jacks from 50m last weekend! Also pulled my biggest bluespot trout at 90cm...

Nothing too special about the insides of a saltiga, but I am impressed with the engineering for gear strength, pinion support and overall waterproofness.

Cya!