Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gimble/groin support
January 07, 2010, 06:47:05 PM
Anyone come across anything decent for a gimble or groin support?

I struggled on our trip to be comfortable with the standard gimble. I felt like it sat my rod up way too high

Any Ideas/suggestions
Cheers
Sam

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Gimble/groin support
January 07, 2010, 06:59:03 PM

I struggled on our trip to be comfortable with the standard gimble. I felt like it sat my rod up way too high

Any Ideas/suggestions
Cheers
Sam

Sam ,

A combination of waist harness n hanging gimbal belt solve my problem , check Andy's which is pretty much the same as mine n Jeng's but of different brands .

Jon .
Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:05:25 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 07, 2010, 08:33:16 PM
If you find a standard gimbal to sit too high, then Jon is right. Check out a hanging style of gimbal that sits lower. You should check out the Jigging Master belts as some models sit really low. I don't like this style myself.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 07, 2010, 11:21:17 PM

Any Ideas/suggestions
Cheers
Sam

Sam ,

A combination of waist harness n hanging gimbal belt solve my problem , check Andy's which is pretty much the same as mine n Jeng's but of different brands .

Jon .

Jon, I must have consumed alot of Bintang on that trip :-[ :-[ :-[ ...my six pack seems to have expanded a bit haaaa.

Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 01:13:46 AM

Any Ideas/suggestions
Cheers
Sam

Sam ,

Jon .

Jon, I must have consumed alot of Bintang on that trip :-[ :-[ :-[ ...my six pack seems to have expanded a bit haaaa.

Hi Andrew ,

Hope you don't mind my posting your photo , on the subject of Bintangs , we all consumed too much since Bali all the way to Waingapu . Do you still got haunted by that flying shark ?

Jon .
Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:15:20 AM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 08:15:12 AM
The thing to remember Andy is who needs a six pack when you can have a Keg.

Thanks for the advice. I really struggled with the gimble whilst we were away. I would actually prefer a flat support that sits over your lower stomach and groin but has a grip surface rather than a butt hole. Anything like that on the Market?

Otherwise i will do the lower gimble support.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 08:41:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I really struggled with the gimble whilst we were away. I would actually prefer a flat support that sits over your lower stomach and groin but has a grip surface rather than a butt hole. Anything like that on the Market?

Who are you calling a Butt Hole?

You could consider something like a Fisherman pad. The back support is minimal but the pad is great. I like to add additional cushion to it so it doesn't fold after extended use.

http://www.gt-fisherman.co.jp/goodsbelte.htm

There are a few others on the market as well as back support that you could customise or even make your own.

Or, even consider a Fisherman Flat Gimbal.

http://www.gt-fisherman3.jp/goodsharnesse.htm

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 09:41:49 AM
hahaha...!  ;D ;D

Luke, the pad system is great. Even with a bit of added cushion/modification. I use it myself on the lighter end of fishing, but it still sits pretty high up on the body. I personally would prefer alot more than a pad around the crown jewels if I were to fish heavy drag with a rod butt shoved against them!!  The daiwa pad is also another good pad, but I found out (before modifying) it is a pain in the arse when a fish dives under the boat and you can't remove the butt out of the pouch!
AKA: Sunny

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 10:12:06 AM
hahaha...!  ;D ;D

Luke, the pad system is great. Even with a bit of added cushion/modification. I use it myself on the lighter end of fishing, but it still sits pretty high up on the body. I personally would prefer alot more than a pad around the crown jewels if I were to fish heavy drag with a rod butt shoved against them!!  The daiwa pad is also another good pad, but I found out (before modifying) it is a pain in the arse when a fish dives under the boat and you can't remove the butt out of the pouch!

Nice one Luke thats probably more what i'm looking for. How much do they cost? and is there shops that sell them, or is it online only?

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 10:15:49 AM

Who are you calling a Butt Hole?

You could consider something like a Fisherman pad. The back support is minimal but the pad is great. I like to add additional cushion to it so it doesn't fold after extended use.

http://www.gt-fisherman.co.jp/goodsbelte.htm

There are a few others on the market as well as back support that you could customise or even make your own.

Or, even consider a Fisherman Flat Gimbal.

http://www.gt-fisherman3.jp/goodsharnesse.htm

Wrong quote sorry!

Nice one Luke thats probably more what i'm looking for. How much do they cost? and is there shops that sell them, or is it online only?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 11:57:26 AM
Sam, here is another option by MC Works, the MC gimbal I use is expensive but very nice, the pad sells for around USD50. I have one on order now.

Jon, not at all, you have reminded me of my new years resolutions ;D, Yes that big shark doing high speed barrel rolls past the boat was something i won't forget, I thought he was coming into the back of the boat with you!! ;D ;)

Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:04:41 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 12:02:31 PM
Sam, here is another option by MC Works, the MC gimbal I use is expensive but very nice, the pad sells for around USD50. I have one on order now.

Jon, not at all you have reminded me of my new years resolutions ;D, Yes that big shark doing high speed barrel rolls past the boat was something i won't forget, I thought he was coming into the back of the boat with you!! ;D ;)

I like the look of them Andy. I'd guess there cheaper than the Fisherman ones. Would love one with a larger Pad - Like 30cm x 30cm

Gus Connor

January 08, 2010, 05:37:09 PM
Ha yeah by far my prefered one was Andy's, I tried one of the bigger ones but also felt it was uncomfortable.

This was only after my first day's comments that gimble belts are strictly for fairies, a comment quickly recindered after two days of GT's my nuts were pretty raw although I did like the 'sit on the rod' method for when the GT's were close or going under the boat as the LR88 makes it more than a little awakard on bigger fish.

I did try to make a home jobbie out of a kids play mat found one night in Labonbajo (after a few too many bintangs) but it was a miserable failure (andy or Jon might have nabbed a pic of it!)

The solution in the end was a towl folded in 8 then secured with a belt, it was really comfortable and still has the flexibility of rod positioning that going solo provided.

Ha dont feel bad andy, that is one of my favourite pics.  With the amount of Anchor I have been consuming I am well on my wayy to joining you.

Gus

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 08, 2010, 06:05:22 PM
Ha yeah by far my prefered one was Andy's, I tried one of the bigger ones but also felt it was uncomfortable.

This was only after my first day's comments that gimble belts are strictly for fairies, a comment quickly recindered after two days of GT's my nuts were pretty raw although I did like the 'sit on the rod' method for when the GT's were close or going under the boat as the LR88 makes it more than a little awakard on bigger fish.

I did try to make a home jobbie out of a kids play mat found one night in Labonbajo (after a few too many bintangs) but it was a miserable failure (andy or Jon might have nabbed a pic of it!)

The solution in the end was a towl folded in 8 then secured with a belt, it was really comfortable and still has the flexibility of rod positioning that going solo provided.

Ha dont feel bad andy, that is one of my favourite pics.  With the amount of Anchor I have been consuming I am well on my wayy to joining you.

Gus

Hi Gus, I was just thinking about your improvisations, very colorful and we got some good laughs. How is the latest industrial creation coming along??

I will see if i snapped your improvisations and post if i find them, they may be food for thought for someone.

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Gus Connor

January 08, 2010, 06:52:06 PM
yeah mate I do have the gus gimble mk 4 in service at the moment

with a bit better access to materials in the warehouse it certainly is an 'industrial' creation, although it does still retain the third world charm that living on a tropical island affords.

Essentially it is roughened half inch rubber in the shape of the 'towl concept' and provides all the flexibility of wearing nothing at all (which has been known to hapen) with pleanty of protection as well.

Mate can I get you to post me a cd of all the photos? I can do the same for you, particularily the Marlin on the reef but other then that I am regretting being so slack on the photo front!

When are the tuna coming?