Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stanage Bay trip Dec 2009
January 12, 2010, 11:52:17 AM
Well done guys.

Great trip & pictures.

Good job done on the boat, would do the same if I had the time.

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2010, 12:37:34 PM
Great report - i really like the section Lessons Learnt and Additional info bit

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2010, 09:53:51 PM
great stuff! thanks for taking the time to post a detailed report

Jeen Raj

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 13, 2010, 01:15:36 AM
Super stuff!! Great pictures and a nice read. A busted ebipop is regular pic these days ;D.

Jeen

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 13, 2010, 07:44:17 AM
Thanks for all the the replys. Steve and Vic may post more info and pics when they get a chance.

Jeen i'm sure your right, I posted a pic to show the guys who like me haven't done to many trips and may not have seen a battle scared ebipop. Its a great trophy from the trip. Sounds like the ebipop extremes are a fair bit stronger.
Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:35:07 PM by Tony Fowler

steve sims

January 13, 2010, 06:39:09 PM
Sounds as though the trip was a full on adventure, and would have made for some interesting boating with the steering hydraulics failing! Any idea of total fuel consumption for the trip? Thanks for the great read!!

Steve Carruthers

January 13, 2010, 09:40:37 PM
Hey guys, yeah we had a great time.
We had planned on over three weeks up there to allow for some down time during any bad weather. But we got lucky and although a fair percentage of our days got up to around 25 knots it was still fishable every day. So after about two and a half weeks we were all fished out and ready for a rest ;D
There wasn't much rest on our "rest day" between trips out. That day consisted of servicing the gear, cleaning clothes and boat, refueling, resupplying etc and then it was right lets go again!!!
Steve, as for fuel consumption I have a 115hp suzuki four stroke and with the boat fully loaded up it consumed just under a litre per kilometre travelling at mostly 20-25 knots (10 knots on the ugly days:().  There's 160 litres in the tank under the floor and we had five 20 litre jerry cans strapped across the transom. Plus another jerry under the floor at the nose that we kept out of calculations as a bit of a backup. So we had about 250km range which worked out just right for a three day trip to any of the island groups.
The jerries on the marlin board were the cause of the hydraulic line breaking, that and my dopeyness. At full lock the hose was bearing against one of the jerries just enough to eventually cause it to crack next to the fitting. That was one of the more major lessons learnt! Standing at the transom pulling on ropes to steer for 40km wasn't my idea of fun. For the previous few years there's always been a litre of steering fluid and a filler thing inside the console but Murphy made sure it wasn't there when the time came haha.
We were pretty lucky there really, we lost the steering just after Tony had caught a good fish out of some shallow country in a lot of current between two islands. There were some pretty ugly pressure waves standing up around us and I'm glad I had steering there.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 14, 2010, 06:57:54 AM
Hey guys, yeah we had a great time.
We had planned on over three weeks up there to allow for some down time during any bad weather. But we got lucky and although a fair percentage of our days got up to around 25 knots it was still fishable every day. So after about two and a half weeks we were all fished out and ready for a rest ;D
There wasn't much rest on our "rest day" between trips out. That day consisted of servicing the gear, cleaning clothes and boat, refueling, resupplying etc and then it was right lets go again!!!
Steve, as for fuel consumption I have a 115hp suzuki four stroke and with the boat fully loaded up it consumed just under a litre per kilometre travelling at mostly 20-25 knots (10 knots on the ugly days:().  There's 160 litres in the tank under the floor and we had five 20 litre jerry cans strapped across the transom. Plus another jerry under the floor at the nose that we kept out of calculations as a bit of a backup. So we had about 250km range which worked out just right for a three day trip to any of the island groups.
The jerries on the marlin board were the cause of the hydraulic line breaking, that and my dopeyness. At full lock the hose was bearing against one of the jerries just enough to eventually cause it to crack next to the fitting. That was one of the more major lessons learnt! Standing at the transom pulling on ropes to steer for 40km wasn't my idea of fun. For the previous few years there's always been a litre of steering fluid and a filler thing inside the console but Murphy made sure it wasn't there when the time came haha.
We were pretty lucky there really, we lost the steering just after Tony had caught a good fish out of some shallow country in a lot of current between two islands. There were some pretty ugly pressure waves standing up around us and I'm glad I had steering there.

That corner of Shields and the passage between the two islands can get some really ugly current going can't it!  It was a mess last time we went through...not the place you'd like to end up in the water for what ever reason.

I've always thought that if the steering went you could gaffa tape a heavy popping rod to the outboard and get some nice tiller steer action going on  :) :)

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 17, 2010, 01:43:24 PM
Nice one mate,great trip,gotta love those baby GTs