Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Elusive Reef, July 2010
March 26, 2010, 08:34:36 AM
The marlin were fun and I was very pleased to get that one on my jig rod, but it is still GT popping no.1 for me!

Mate the lower back and right shoulder in particular were knackered yesterday, even this morning my shoulders are feeling ordinary....but it is the sweet sweet pain of victory so it is ok

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 08:46:55 AM
Rightio - enough teasing...do you have some photos and details to get me through Friday morning Scott?  :D

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 10:44:59 AM
Haha didn't take long to get a bite there Travis!

Been hanging to pop my marlin cherry for a while and there has been a super hot bite up at Port Stephens, a few hours north of Sydney, for the last 7 weeks or so....many boats have been getting 4-6 fish on a decent day....Tim Dean had a few days on Calypso into the double figures. But I have been busy with work and family.

Managed to duck up there yesterday. Couldn't get a crew together on late notice but the weather was so good and I was so desperate, I took the charter boat to myself!...motored out and found a likely spot with a nice current line, some bait and good temp. Whilst jigging up some slimies for bait we saw a free jumper, and about 30 minutes after actually started fishing (with 2 surface baits and a deep bait on my Hots jig rod/Stella 20k combo) the deep bait gets hit

Black marlin surfaces and gives us half a jump before heading deep and slugging it out with me for 1 hour 10 minutes....let me tell you, at about the 50 minute mark I would have loved a harness, but no spin harnesses aboard...got it to the boat for a nice release, skipper estimated at 120-130kg, it was a big fish!

Managed 2 more stripes on conventional gear, plus the deckie got a stripe as well....he had to take the rod as we had a double hook up

Went 4-4-4 for the day plus saw a couple of free jumpers, was awesome....the 3 stripes were in the 75-85kg bracket

No pics unfortunately as we were short handed (just skipper, me and deckie) and none of the fish were particularly cooperative boatside, except the one I landed during hte double hook up, but we wanted to release it immediately and get the second fish, which was about 150m out the front of the boat going nuts by that stage....and we did get it

Wasn't going to post a report since it is not really this forum's purpose but am pretty stoked and since you asked.....  ;D

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 10:46:32 AM
I should say too that the bite has slowed down significantly in the last week, I think we were pretty fortunate, another boat fishing near us landed 2, but most of the other boats out and about came back empty handed or with 1 fish

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 12:29:00 PM
Had to ask Scott :)

Congrats, sounds awesome...solo charter boat option is dedication!  See over at www.akff.net (kayak fishing forum) one of the blokes hooked an ~100kg marlin on a certate 2500 down at SWR there and played it for a half hour so before being busted off...hit a strip of squid apparently - I can only assume it was swimming past with it's mouth open and it's eyes shut  ;D  Must have been a hot bite indeed!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 04:52:28 PM
I was desperate, but it paid off big time in the end!

Nah mate that kayak hooked up at a spot called the colours, not far outside of sydney heads  :o

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 04:57:41 PM
Nah mate that kayak hooked up at a spot called the colours, not far outside of sydney heads  :o

Ahh was too, was running off memory...pretty crazy eh  :o

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 01:16:35 PM
A couple more days to go now for the week one crew.. Good Luck and remember to leave some fish for the week 2 boys  ::) ::) :P !!

Anyone know a website to get the weather report for that patch of reef??
AKA: Sunny

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 02:29:31 PM
My bags are nearly packed. ;D

Just loaded my rods into the carmate.

Bouyweather is a good one Sunny.....But it might be to early to get a forecast on week 2.
Greg Burt is the weather guru......He will tell you more on the buoyweather site

Pete

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 02:43:26 PM
Hey Captain Sunny
I used to always use windfinder.com and it has been great, but recently discovered this little beauty...
http://wind.willyweather.com.au/qld/mackay/elusive-reef.html
It even has a listing for Elusive reef!... as well as many other reefs out in the Coral Sea.
It has heaps of info
Enjoy...
Rob
<*///><

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 02:51:21 PM
Thats a good one Robert.

Monday looks nice....bit of another wind spike on the tuesday..

Pete

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 03:48:25 PM
Thanks guys  ;) , I'll check it out.
AKA: Sunny

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 07:42:32 PM
Looking good, only up to 20nts by Friday, but things can change ;D

Arrows are direction, and the colours are strength, PURPLE is Magic  :D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Rob Ciotucha

June 25, 2010, 05:49:50 PM
Have a good trip you guys who are off tomorrow, and goodluck.

Rob

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
June 25, 2010, 09:09:16 PM

Have fun guys  and leave some for us next week !!!!