Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kadavu Island, Fiji, 11-16 Jan 2010
January 24, 2010, 08:00:36 AM
Had an excellent day trip with some 20 GTs hooked and landed.
Unfortunately 2 mishaps occurred.
The camera was left behind and the biggest fish of 45kg hit the prop in its bid to get away and was not fit to be released. Same thing happened on a 30 odd kilo fish earlier in the week on a another boat.
The others were estimated at around 15kg to 30kg and 3 busted us off.
The jigging was very good for trout and various cods as well as thumper sized green jobfish. Got busted off on my very first drop of the morning so that was an indicator. Lost another couple of jigs to unknowns.
Learned that a Kaibutsu Long Cast can handle 100lb GT without too many problems.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2010, 09:29:36 AM
Not to long now Sachin.....Just pray to the weather gods for us. 8)

Pete

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 24, 2010, 12:13:36 PM
Wow great fishing report and some great fish caught,nice doggies mate.. ;)

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 24, 2010, 05:52:56 PM
well done guys!
congratulation :)

Stan Konstantaras

January 24, 2010, 05:53:36 PM
Great report and great pictures, mindblowing stuff.
Cheers
stan

voodoo

February 24, 2010, 02:36:05 PM
I love a good fishing trip report!

Well done Dave and all. 

Hope I get a chance top fish with you sometime soon.

regards,
Josh

jay currie

February 28, 2010, 07:33:08 PM
Hi Scott awesome trip bud. I fishied with Adrian and Joe last year and had such a good time (due to fishing and crew at Matava) that we are heading back in April this year.

Just wondering if you have any advice for the jigging side of things in way of jig sizes colours ect.
Also wondering if you have any advice for a jigging rod for saltiga 6500 80lb fins for these doggies

Thanks bud

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 01, 2010, 10:19:05 AM
Hey Jay, yeah we have just booked back in for Jan next year as well, hope you guys get some good weather in April

Jig sizes, we found around the reef's edge where you are mainly jigging 60-100m, 200-300gm jigs were good, in any array of lengths (I mainly stuck with medium length jigs, but the guys were using some shorter ones like sea rocks too and they worked well around the reef). I prefer 250+ even for that depth because they get down quicker so there seems to be less tangles when fishing multiple anglers as less drift of your jig

For the sea mount, 300gm+ jigs are the go....we got all the doggies on approx 300gm medium length jigs, I know mine was a 300gm Daiwa speed jig, Tim's was a Shimano Butterfly, I think around 300gm too, both were blue also....I used a 400gm jig for a while but with the conditions we had it was unnecessary, you might want to pack one just in case though Adrian has a few in that weight range too

My suggestion would be pack a few 200-250gm and a few 300-320gm jigs....we didn't lose many either, maybe 7 or 8 betwen 3 of us for the week lost mainly to toothy critters so no need to go overboard on numbers given the weight restrictions etc

Rods....you can find a million posts on here debating that question haha....as I said earlier, I used my Hots Wei World 52XH and Tim used his Smith AMJ 52EX, both rods did the job admirably, the 52EX was a bit easier lifting the fish in the last stage of the fight, I did have to work pretty hard at that stage really pump the fish using hte butt of the ord and very short strokes a the Hots isn't as stiff, but it wa sa very comfortable rod for the fight for a small guy like me and the fish came on board so....Rods I can think of would include those two, the JM Powerspell range, probably the 300 or 350...gosh, there are heaps more actually....I think the main factors that would influence my actual recommendations would be how big/strong you are, and what if anything you are going to use the rod for apart from catching doggies....if you are going to use it for lighter work too you may want to go towards the lighter end of rods that are up to the task, such as the Hots, rather than go get say a heavy Carpenter

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 01, 2010, 10:19:45 AM
Oh and apart from the blue jigs we had good success on gold, pinks and natural white/silver

jay currie

March 01, 2010, 05:31:42 PM
Thanks heaps bud for the advice I will hopefully have good trip report to post in 6 weeks time