Steve Carruthers

Re: Percy Islands
January 28, 2010, 07:32:14 PM
Hey Travis, good one mate. The A frame just blew our minds when we were there. Worth a trip out just to hang out there for a few days I reckon - we're too busy popping though hey.
Is that the little spit on the eastern end of Pine Islet your walking on in that pic? We caught a few good gts around there one morning.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 29, 2010, 07:27:00 AM
Hey Travis, good one mate. The A frame just blew our minds when we were there. Worth a trip out just to hang out there for a few days I reckon - we're too busy popping though hey.
Is that the little spit on the eastern end of Pine Islet your walking on in that pic? We caught a few good gts around there one morning.

Yeah that's the one Steve, some shallow territory around there but it did look mighty fishy.  The A Frame was awesome, easy to while away some time just wandering around looking at all the name plates.  I didn't realise the homestead was so far away from the A frame, I wanted to drop up and say hi to the caretakers...called them on the radio and said so only to be told "to bring your water bottle, it's hot and it's over 3km up the hill"....."romeo that, ahem, cough, rightio, ok - we might, ahem, see you later then, cough"  :D

Isaac Denny

January 29, 2010, 04:57:28 PM
Well It's time for me to drop my 2c on this trip!

Day 1. After the traditional late night packing the boat we rose a sparrow's to launch the Hilux and boat from the house driveway onto the road. Easy done.

Like Trav mentioned the road out to Stanage wasn't too bad, but exercise caution when towing as there were a few monster holes here and there. Stay away from the local horses - if you stop to pat them they will steal things from the back of the Ute - one friendly steed refused to get it's snout out of the Ute till the boat pushed him away!

Arriving at Stanage what a treat. We'd called ahead so knew the store had plenty of fuel in stock, probably worth doing if your fuelling up with large volumes. The boat storage/tackle shop even had the hatchet I was chasing for the bargain price of $9.00! We managed to stop ourselves from buying lures...

Pack... Chat to Coast Guard... Launch... Punch out to Marble... Insert Trav's comments on weather here... bleep bleep bleep... With Trav's boat someone is always on the wet side... Thankfully that was Trav...

Arrive... Set up camp... Fruitless fishing session really just to get gear ready... Out..

Day 2. My first GT - thankyou God because I have been chasing that elusive fish for over a year by that time. Including one 5 day trip with zero GT! It was only a lightweight but we pulled him out of a textbook location with textbook technique - success.

TBC...