Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Short 1/2 Twisted or Wind-On Leaders?
January 29, 2010, 12:45:36 AM
Had a conversation with Dave Sharples about twisty's - I have used a full length one with a couple of turns on the reel - "standard style" however Dave said he modifies the leader to the top part being a twisty going to a single strand and keeping the whole lot outside the rod - short style ...

I have looked at BHP Wind-Ons and considered Dave's approach - either will be catspawed onto Jerry Brown Hollow Core ... any suggestions or feedback - are people generally using the shorter twisty's?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Short 1/2 Twisted or Wind-On Leaders?
January 29, 2010, 01:43:56 AM
Had a conversation with Dave Sharples about twisty's - I have used a full length one with a couple of turns on the reel - "standard style" however Dave said he modifies the leader to the top part being a twisty going to a single strand and keeping the whole lot outside the rod - short style ...

I have looked at BHP Wind-Ons and considered Dave's approach - either will be catspawed onto Jerry Brown Hollow Core ... any suggestions or feedback - are people generally using the shorter twisty's?

For such " bite " leader that stays outside the tip top guide , I use heavy leader mono / flurocarbon which is crimped on both side . The connection to the lure eyelet is facilitated by using splitring and the other end by cat paw connection to mono leader . Very simple to make .

Jon .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kurt Carlson

January 29, 2010, 03:12:00 AM
I went with something like this after tearing the stripper eye off my GT Special rod twice.  My leader is 170lb, about 750mm long single strand with a 200mm twisted bite leader at the bottom.  Lure is attached with a split ring and to the braid is a Albright knot.  Knock on wood, I have not had a wind knot since going to this approach, but it is hard on the fingers and gloves.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 06:16:44 AM
Hi Alex,

I splice a loop in my hollowcore and catspaw to about a 5 foot twisty. I then double uni to a 2 foot bite leader.  The twisty is within the guides when I cast - but not on the spool. Has proved a very reliable connection for me.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers. Dave

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 07:20:07 AM
Twisty pro's-
-smooth connection to main line
-increased impact absorption
-increased abrasion resistance

Twisty con's-
-increased visibility to finicky fish

Sounds like you're using hollow for your fishing which means the Twisty is more for it's impact and abrasion qualities.  Assuming you're fishing at least a 7'6" rod you're going to have at least a 2-2.5m leader before it comes back onto you're reel.  My opinion is that is long enough to absorb any strike and if a fish gets you further than that into the rocks then an extra foot or two probably isn't going to help  :D   

My preference is the shorter twisty inside the guides but off the reel - which means it's not so short, maybe 2.5m long.  My idea behind this is the leader is not as supple as the braid so it may hold it's "loop" shape more readily as it comes off the reel which would make it more likely to snag a guide. 

Which brings me to a point i'm not sure of - what usually snags the guide?  The one time i've ripped one off it's been the bimini knot, I assume the bimini loop would also do it.  Both of those things can be eliminated by splicing a short loop into your JB hollow like Dave does.  Also there are two different types of bite leader being mentioned above, one is heavy single strand, the other twisted leader.  For bite leader for poppers I twist my twisty back along itself for maybe 200-250mm and then nail knot it in place, for stickbaits i'm making the move away from twisties to pure single strand spliced into hollow.

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 01:57:42 PM
just a question Travis if it is ok and with-out being rude at all,

i am just wondering and for the obvious reason being i am not sure myself on what the answer is or will be or if there even is or is not an answer to it - is it only hollow braid which can be spliced being done properly and correctly and having/maintaining a full 100 per cent good strong splice connection, or can other braids be spliced successfully to or not and only hollow can be spliced?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 02:32:15 PM
just a question Travis if it is ok and with-out being rude at all,

i am just wondering and for the obvious reason being i am not sure myself on what the answer is or will be or if there even is or is not an answer to it - is it only hollow braid which can be spliced being done properly and correctly and having/maintaining a full 100 per cent good strong splice connection, or can other braids be spliced successfully to or not and only hollow can be spliced?

My understanding Sam is that splicing braid involves inserting mono or other braid into the hollow section of the hollow braid and then securing the end using your method of choice.  So yes, you can only splice hollow braid.   

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 02:55:43 PM
Many moon ago I used to splice TufLine back into itself to create a loop - not actually splice two pieces of line together. This was usually done with 130lb+ line.

I still found that the line could still foul on the stripper at times despite the fact my loop was a mere 1cm, and .5cm once catspawed to the twisted leader butt section.

This confirmed for me that line fouls and wind knots are just as much leader configuration and length along with the usual villain - the Bimini loop!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 03:10:10 PM
Many moon ago I used to splice TufLine back into itself to create a loop - not actually splice two pieces of line together. This was usually done with 130lb+ line.

I still found that the line could still foul on the stripper at times despite the fact my loop was a mere 1cm, and .5cm once catspawed to the twisted leader butt section.

This confirmed for me that line fouls and wind knots are just as much leader configuration and length along with the usual villain - the Bimini loop!

Did you just sort of weave it in and out of itself Luke?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 03:12:49 PM

Did you just sort of weave it in and out of itself Luke?

I'd splice around 2 inches, come out, then enter from the other side of the braided line wall - "alternating" - this was done for around a metre.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 10:14:00 PM
Thanks guys - we use something similar for our bass over here - basically a short rubbing flouro leader albrighted to the braid ... kept outside the top guide.

Anyone using wind-on leaders at all?