lonhro

Timber GT poppers
March 14, 2007, 10:17:54 PM
Hi Guys,
I have been looking through some old fishing mags today, and i read an artical about making poppers. i thought about it, since most poppers cost $20 bucks or more i couldn't be that hard to make some timber poppers. i have worked out most of the details except for one major part? whats the inside of a popper like ?? how to you join the trebles to the wire that runs up the middle??? and how do you make the part where your line hooks up to the lure ?? in the mag they recommend using 2-3 inches of wire and using good 24 glue just sticking into the lure. 24hr Araldite.

i have never used a lure let alone busted a lure so anyone that has,

Any ideas would be great as i want to make some up this weekend?

Cheers Randy

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Timber GT poppers
March 14, 2007, 10:23:04 PM
when the GTs are on, you can catch them on anything! I made a popper years ago from aluminium foil, wire in the middle and a treble hook and I caught a fish with it! Unfortunately, the strike demolished the lure completely.

From what I can see, they drill through the lure and then drill a hole in the middle of the lure to join the hole already made. the put a swivel up the middle and pass the wire through. The wire at the end is then twsited into a loop and the holes are then glued (except the one with the swivel in it)

i don't think it is that hard but I can't be bothered these days!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 10:44:48 PM
Like Bernie said..thats pretty much it. I made one, but I dont think I will make any more. For starters, its damn hard to drill in a straight line down the middle of some thick dowel. I tried but starting at one end towards the middles, then from the other side so they meet up. It kind of worked. Then I bought a really long drill bit, but it was too hard to keep straight. You really need one of those benchpress drills and a vice or something to get a straight drill through. Then you make a twisted section of wire go through. It can be fun, but if you dont have the right tools its frustrating too.

lonhro

March 14, 2007, 11:01:45 PM
THIS IS GREAT GUYS.
I say its great becuase while i am at uni i work with a builder to get up fishing money. So i can get heaps of free timber and tools well thats the least of my worries. Anyone got a busted up lure, or any other advice ??

Cheers Randy

Now were talking

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 09:40:46 AM
THIS IS GREAT GUYS.
I say its great becuase while i am at uni i work with a builder to get up fishing money. So i can get heaps of free timber and tools well thats the least of my worries. Anyone got a busted up lure, or any other advice ??

Cheers Randy

Now were talking

The guys have explained it pretty well.

None of that 2-3 inch wire, you need a through-wire connection because the timber can break (especially in the longer and slender pencil and stickbait types).

I have access to a fully equipped work shop and should be turning some out myself soon.

lonhro

March 15, 2007, 04:13:02 PM
Is that right Luke ???
might have to have a little get together and you can show us how to make these  poppers???
aswell as a little drink lol.
surely you have busted a lure in your time, so whats a popper look like on the inside how do you get away with one wire through the whole lure???
randy

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 05:12:31 PM
Randy - the principle behind the through wire construction is so that even if the lure desintegrates, you still are attached to the fish. GTs regularly obliterate cheap lures and it is common for pencil poppers to get broken.

What were you thinking of doing?  ???
If it swims; I want to catch it!

lonhro

March 15, 2007, 07:03:36 PM
Ok here it is,
so far i have worked out that i am going to use white beech wood(think).
next i have some 200Lb 7 strand wire, swivels rated 150Lbs, and going to go and get some Gal fencing wire

in the popper i am planning on drilling a 4mm hole the whole way thru the guts. once that is done then i am going to drill another hole that meets the long hole half way( middle treble hook) in that hole i will put a swivel. next i will put the fencing wire the whole way thru the lure making sure it goes thru the middle of the swivel and some how make it doubled by twisting it off so that the fencing wire is a continuous loop.
 (my english sucks i know)
then get some 24hr araldite jam pack it into the holes and then hold both end I.E. front and back of popper and start forming a loop by twisting the wire in opposite directions from both end. this does 2 things, one it mixes the glue to form a stronger bond secondly it helps told every thing tightly.

message me back if this makes any sence and if it does if it will work ???

The dumb one
                       Randy

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 08:30:11 PM

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 16, 2007, 09:22:15 PM
Ok here it is,
so far i have worked out that i am going to use white beech wood(think).
next i have some 200Lb 7 strand wire, swivels rated 150Lbs, and going to go and get some Gal fencing wire

in the popper i am planning on drilling a 4mm hole the whole way thru the guts. once that is done then i am going to drill another hole that meets the long hole half way( middle treble hook) in that hole i will put a swivel. next i will put the fencing wire the whole way thru the lure making sure it goes thru the middle of the swivel and some how make it doubled by twisting it off so that the fencing wire is a continuous loop.
 (my english sucks i know)
then get some 24hr araldite jam pack it into the holes and then hold both end I.E. front and back of popper and start forming a loop by twisting the wire in opposite directions from both end. this does 2 things, one it mixes the glue to form a stronger bond secondly it helps told every thing tightly.

message me back if this makes any sence and if it does if it will work ???

The dumb one
                       Randy

You are on the right track mate.

Drink sometime sounds great...give me a bell anytime.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 16, 2007, 10:31:46 PM
we need an inaugural gtpopping get together !

lonhro

March 17, 2007, 01:46:43 AM
Sounds good guys
Time and place is all we need and  hmmm maybe bring a rod and reel ???
lol RUM time
cheers Randy