Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AMJ/wei world v JM
February 10, 2010, 09:53:06 PM
Thanks Peter,

I got an email from the retail people at AG that fits in with what you said. They said that the PS350 and 3KS-M are more or less comparable, but that it comes down to what boat you jig out of for which rod you'd take. They said low rail boat = power spell. High rail boat = 3 kings, where the extra length and tippiness alows you to jig and fight in a slightly more high stick fashion that clears the rails. I guess that might suit eggbeaters better too.
 I was surprised that he said he uses the PS350 with 250/300g jigs and the 3 kings with 300-400g jigs - I  thought it would be around the other way with the stiffer tipped power spell  better with the heavier jigs but anyway.   
For what I'd outlined, he was adamant that the 3 Kings 53S-M was what I needed so I think i'll  go with that. Thanks for the help people!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 11, 2010, 05:39:14 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys. Now the difficult part.
Decisions.........decisions

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 11, 2010, 08:22:22 PM
Sachin,

I will bring the 7'8 popping rod and a couple of jig sticks for you to look at.

Cheers,
Pete

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 14, 2010, 07:00:10 AM
Agree Sam about emailing AG direct. 
Pony at Jigging Master was so helpful by providing heaps of info and advice to me when I was selecting a blank. His email answered everything as there were no rods or blanks in Sydney stores then to compare.  Great service..
I reckon your 3 Kings will be sweet!

Cheers David

Marcus Lee

February 15, 2010, 01:59:16 AM
I read about all these blanks/rods that can deadlift this and that. Personally I can't see how a rod that want deadlift 22kg or 45kg has got anything to do with real time fishing?? Does that mean it can withstand up 22kg of drag pressure?? or just able to lift a keg of beer?? 

as quoted by Pauline Hanson "Please Explain???"

Nothing to do with drag pressure.

The reasoning behind this is very simple- the more deadlift a rod is capable of, the more punishment it will take and the more it will stand up to abuse unscathed ie. high-sticking, locked drags, angler error, imperfect technique etc. And if a 150g all carbon blank can lift 45kg it will have a lot of muscle to move stubborn big fish too!

GT rod blank manufacturers perform deadlift tests as well to determine the strength of the joint. This is especially important for 2 pc GT rods as the weak point is almost always at the joint. JDM companies tend not to publicize deadlift tests but they do perform them.
Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:07:36 AM by Marcus Lee

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 15, 2010, 01:32:23 PM
Seems a bit misleading but as to light that much usually requires equal amount of stopping force for the opposite end, hence the drag. Also where you hold the rod is also a pivotal point of the lifting as well. Most blank Ive seen are held at the end of the blank for the dead lifting demos. So to me I can't see how deadlifting a large amount of weight can be applied to real world fishing situations.

Sorry to be ranting on abit, just trying to figure out WHY and HOW.

Marcus Lee

February 15, 2010, 03:05:56 PM
Not sure why it is misleading mate. To put it simply, more deadlift equates to a blank that will take more abuse, high-sticking, knocks and add to that the ability to handle more drag to turn stubborn fish. Deadlift is just one part of the equation but it is critical in real-world situations.

If you have a 2 blanks, same dimensions but one can lift 15kg max and the other 45kg max...on long hard fight with a big fish, the 15kg test blank will probably have a greater chance of failing due to delamination and other factors. The 15kg blank will be more of a "finesse" blank. Just compare Wei World vs Sevenseas Imperial...both rods used to land big fish but there are many reports of Wei World failures in Taiwan...of course the Imperial is a much heavier rod, so the challenge is to design a lightweight rod which can take a lot of abuse (deadlift).

Position of pivot points are are another piece of the puzzle and play a part in determining the load ratios. Then you have to add taper etc...

cheers

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 15, 2010, 08:51:18 PM
ah...k
slowly understanding it. I guess a blank that can deadlift more weight will be more responsive, in terms of pulling power, than one that can dead lift less weight.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 15, 2010, 10:40:22 PM
I think it would be a very bad mistake to think that what makes a good jigging blank is deadweight lifting ability. If you use a measure like that, a crowbar would be the ultimate jigging blank.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 15, 2010, 11:11:55 PM
hence why I dont buy rods based on their "deadlifting" power. I rather do a dry load with line through it and get a feel for it. If its good, then go for it.

I know its hard to figure what you need when purchasing online but at the end of the day its a gamble you take, after doing all the possible research on the items.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 20, 2010, 07:58:20 PM
Well I finally bit the bullet and went for the 3 kings 300. Received it the other day from QLD from huntingfishingcamping.com and can't wait to use it.  I was surprised to see that the deadlift capacity was written on the rod along with the other specs - never seen that before - but at least it lets me know its not a rod I have to tip toe around.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 20, 2010, 08:04:57 PM
no but you might be tip toeing when the fish drags you around....lol

Awesome rod there. You'll love it.

Marcus Lee

March 19, 2010, 04:16:34 PM
I think it would be a very bad mistake to think that what makes a good jigging blank is deadweight lifting ability. If you use a measure like that, a crowbar would be the ultimate jigging blank.

Quite the contrary. There are very important reasons why blank manufacturers perform deadlift tests and I have outlined some of these reasons in my posts above.

Deadlift is one part of the equation. Action is the other part. Obviously a good blend of action, weight and strength makes a great jigging rod. You can have a rod with great action, feather weight lightness but it will be of no use if it breaks easily under load.