Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod repair - from the ashes
January 28, 2010, 01:27:08 AM
Managed to bust my WV80XH a couple of months back.  The tip section tore through the top of the handle leaving one smaller and two longer tears (about 4 inches long + a hairline crack for a further 2 inches or so).

I couldn't locate a replacement part.  I had a spare few hours the other day and decided to see if I could make a repair.  I stripped off the duplon above the reel seat and cleaned up this section of the blank.  I "clamped" the top 6 inches with large cable ties and carefully sanded the inside of the handle to remove carbon splinters.  Then I whipped the entire 10-11 inch sction above the reel seat with 10lb spectra removing the cable ties as I went.  I tried the tip section in the butt once I had finished the whipping and put a bend in it...it seemed ok. 

I the whipped the entire section again with spectra - went round a mates house and got him to stand on the line and tried to break the rod again.  This involved turning the drag up full on an SW18000 and pulling very hard and jerking the rod very hard from all angles for about 5 minutes with the reel grudgingly giving a bit of line.  Couldn't get the whipped section to even make a creak !!

I was surprised the repair held up - but it did.  Have a trip coming up in a couple of months so we'll see how she goes.  Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else has a rod in a smilar condition - all might not be lost !!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Rod repair - from the ashes
January 28, 2010, 02:20:45 AM
Managed to bust my WV80XH a couple of months back.  The tip section tore through the top of the handle leaving one smaller and two longer tears (about 4 inches long + a hairline crack for a further 2 inches or so).

I couldn't locate a replacement part.  I had a spare few hours the other day and decided to see if I could make a repair.  I stripped off the duplon above the reel seat and cleaned up this section of the blank.  I "clamped" the top 6 inches with large cable ties and carefully sanded the inside of the handle to remove carbon splinters.  Then I whipped the entire 10-11 inch sction above the reel seat with 10lb spectra removing the cable ties as I went.  I tried the tip section in the butt once I had finished the whipping and put a bend in it...it seemed ok. 

I the whipped the entire section again with spectra - went round a mates house and got him to stand on the line and tried to break the rod again.  This involved turning the drag up full on an SW18000 and pulling very hard and jerking the rod very hard from all angles for about 5 minutes with the reel grudgingly giving a bit of line.  Couldn't get the whipped section to even make a creak !!

I was surprised the repair held up - but it did.  Have a trip coming up in a couple of months so we'll see how she goes.  Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else has a rod in a smilar condition - all might not be lost !!

Dave ,

That is the correct way to repair the split handle , I used the thread for wrapping the rod guides to do the same job and I guess braided line is even better .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 03:46:42 AM
Ooer!

Did you look at cutting it back and refitting Dave?
I have a guy in Scotland who is very good at rod repairs - http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/ Stan is the guy!

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 05:25:04 AM
I recommend wrapping the split with kevlar and wetting it with polyester resin. Prep the surface first with scotchbrite through.

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 07:36:26 AM
It lives again!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 08:06:47 AM
Nice one Dave - the bonus with this is that it sounds like you could do the repair fairly easily when out on a long or remote trip instead of having to stand down the whole outfit.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 08:35:53 PM
It lives again!

The force is strong in this rod   ;D

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 01, 2010, 06:06:49 PM
What about repairing the tip section? Broke off 2 inches from the end that goes in the butt section. 2 or so inches is still in the butt section and the top part including 2 inches or so that goes in the butt section and all guides is intact.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 01, 2010, 07:07:57 PM
Sachin, Jay Burgess just had his rod repaired after a similar breakage. This is obviously a far bigger job but it is not impossible. You might need to try to fit it into another butt after that but the rod should be able to be repaired
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 02, 2010, 05:59:49 PM
Thanks Brandon. More than half of the end section of the top part is still intact so with a bit of sleeving I might just get it to work. This weekend will be taken up then.

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2010, 09:09:07 PM
Sachin
If you have any relos traveling to sydney then send it over with them. I'll give it a fixup and can bring it with me when I travel to Fiji

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2010, 06:33:36 AM
Thanks Rohit.
PM me your address and contact detail as I can send it over in March or April and you could bring it over when you come over in June.
Appreciate the help.