• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

scouser

Re: Finishing Twisted Leaders
March 04, 2008, 08:32:44 PM
Hi Luke
can you send me pictures and instructions of how to finish the leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader and the twisted leader method please cheers Stewart

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 04, 2008, 10:32:26 PM
To all those requesting assistance, i will be sending emails within the next 24 hours. Sorry for the delay - just flat out!

GIANTTREVALLY

March 05, 2008, 04:37:51 AM
To all those requesting assistance, i will be sending emails within the next 24 hours. Sorry for the delay - just flat out!

I would like pictures and instructions of how to finish the leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader also. I cant seem to do the picture the last instuction after forming the bite leader where you apply the nail not, glue and heat shrink.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 05, 2008, 08:47:00 AM
I also originally misunderstood the instructions.
 The nail knot is not actually done with part of the leader, it is made by bringing in a 3rd party, braid, which is used to form the nail knot around the doubled twisted leader [all 4 strands] which is then glued and heat shrinked.
Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:53:17 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2008, 10:09:11 PM
Thanks for the photos Luke and Greg....Certainly answered some questions for me too. 8)

Pete

GIANTTREVALLY

March 08, 2008, 05:12:13 AM
 The nail knot is not actually done with part of the leader, it is made by bringing in a 3rd party, braid, which is used to form the nail knot around the doubled twisted leader [all 4 strands] which is then glued and heat shrinked.

can someone post pictures of the nail knot being done with part of the leader and the 3rd party braid. Im going on a trip soon and I cant finish my twisted leaders.

Luke, brandon or greg can you email me pictures and instruction on also how to make twisted leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader and the twisted leader method.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 08, 2008, 11:38:16 AM

can someone post pictures of the nail knot being done with part of the leader and the 3rd party braid. Im going on a trip soon and I cant finish my twisted leaders.

Luke, brandon or greg can you email me pictures and instruction on also how to make twisted leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader and the twisted leader method.

I would forget weaving (it isn't as good as the other methods mentioned here) - but if you want to know, you simply open up a twist and then thread a small portion through then continue to do the same with the next twist.

Single Strand - simply terminate your twisted leader with a knot (so it doesn't unravel), then with a single strand, form opposing uni-to-uni knots - pull tight.

Or, slide two crimps onto both materials (twisty and single strand) and crimp tight.

For twisted finish, check page one of this thread.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2008, 06:11:45 PM
This method of finishing off - its basically making a bite leader right?  Do you just apply this method to both ends of the twisted leader if you want a bite leader?

Also the glue - can you just use any superglue?  Does it effect the line at all?  Do i need a special glue?

The nail knot - is it necessary to have the length of braid running underneath all the wraps?  Why not just half hitch it in place to start the wrapping and then tightly wrap and finish with half hitches and glue?  Surely its the glue that is doing most of the holding here rather than the nail knot?  If you're trying to get the braid to cinch into the twisted leader its almost impossible to get that last length back under all the wraps?

edit: just looked more closely at the nail knot and see how what I said was wrong.  If you only do 6-7 wraps its shouldnt be so hard to get it to cinch in after you pass the strand back through.  My early attempts I was wrapping for about an inch instead of 6-7 turns. I'll let the question stand though to see if its a legitimate alternative?? ;D
Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:17:20 PM by travis

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2008, 02:31:14 PM
Well - having a conversation with myself :)

Did some nail knots last night and no just wrapping and glueing will not substitute.  You can really get the knot to bite in - I used a length of pen tube (that holds the ink)to wrap the loops around and then slide the end back through.  I then tied each end of the length of braid to an 8/0 jighead hook eyelet and used those to pull the nail knot tight.  Can really get the sucker packed down.

warren clark

March 30, 2008, 09:18:19 AM
    Thanks for the pictures.
          I had just logged on to ask if black heat shrink will do the job as it was the only colour I could find to buy.  I wanted to check that the black  wasn't going to spook the fish. But by the pics it's looks OK.
          Because I was worried that my 3 nail knots and heat shrink may not have been  exactly correct and didn't want my  leader to let go on the water  I have done a couple of leaders with a nail knot onto the swivel using the 2 strand twisted leader and then into the bite leader.
        Do you think this will effect the way the twisted leaders  will work.
     My thoughts where the best of both world.
            No1- fininshing off as if there was to be no bit leader.
            No2-  adding in the bite leader for extra strength .

Thanks Again Warren
Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 02:05:10 PM by warren clark

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 30, 2008, 02:35:53 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about spooking fish. If fishing with poppers, your leader is going to be out of the water most of the time. If fishing stickbaits, I steer clear of a complete twisted leader, instead, attaching a 1 metre setion of single strand (FC or Nylon) connected via crimps or knots. Having said that, I know anglers using straight twisties to stickbaits and no seeing any reduction in strikes.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 06, 2008, 10:22:27 AM
Hi all, would it provide a little more strength to the twisted leader (and bite leader section) if you attached the swivel with a flemish eye, before finishing with the nail knot further along? This is the area I mean......

Cheers
Angus

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 20, 2008, 01:45:06 PM
PM instead.

Pete
Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:03:19 PM by Peter Morris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 20, 2008, 06:53:42 PM
I've tried that - the loop becomes a bit too big with the flemish eye

Hi all, would it provide a little more strength to the twisted leader (and bite leader section) if you attached the swivel with a flemish eye, before finishing with the nail knot further along? This is the area I mean......

Cheers
Angus

If it swims; I want to catch it!