Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finishing Twisted Leaders
October 20, 2008, 07:59:58 PM
Brandon,

What are your thoughts on the nail knots...??

Re: Strength etc....

I look at them and think how can they cope with the pressure of a big GT's...?

Im worried about knot failure on attempting it.. ???

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 20, 2008, 09:33:48 PM
My understanding is the nail knot and glue are to stop the 'twisted' bite leader from unravelling.
If you are in the shop this week I will drop off a finished leader Luke sent me last year, the leader in hand explains a lot.
Most popper blasters these days seem to use a mono/FC bite leader of some sort, at the end of a twisty or single leader.
  Bun
Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:35:43 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 21, 2008, 12:56:32 AM
Peter - the nail knot is superglued so it's pretty damn strong! I've never had one slip before but I do understand your concern.

Brandon,

What are your thoughts on the nail knots...??

Re: Strength etc....

I look at them and think how can they cope with the pressure of a big GT's...?

Im worried about knot failure on attempting it.. ???

Pete
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 21, 2008, 09:50:29 PM
If you don't feel safe with a nail knot you could always whip finish them with a fly tying bobbin and kevlar thread or a PR bobbin and braid (10-20lb) then glue it all with UV knot sealer. I have been using this method on twisted leaders for 6-7 years and have not had a failure yet (here comes the hoodoo)I started using this system on impoundment barra leaders because I couldn't be stuffed tying nailknots

Ray Stevens

October 21, 2008, 09:52:40 PM
Great Thread Guys....Che knows his stuff alright, was reading about his fishing exploits for GTs around Exmouth in WA a few years back...

This is the first time I have ever seen his method of rigging given in such close up detail though....

Cheers

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 24, 2008, 01:47:32 AM
This and the Twisty Leader thread is an awesome!
I attempted my first ever twisty last night following these instructions closely... the first 3 were a bit rough(ie, not enough twists), but by the 4th though to the 15th... they came up a treat.
The only thing I'm doing that's slightly different is the finishing...
I'm not a fan of using heat shrink on mono, so I just do 2 nail knots about 1cm appart, then coat that section with Dac Tac(rubberised superglue), as it leaves a neat, strong coating.
It really is a quick, easy and fantastic looking leader to make with the quality instructions in this forum.
Cheers To All
<*///><