John Joubert

Re: 63 Kilo GT - SA East Coast
August 17, 2010, 06:39:22 PM
Your comments are pure ignorance, you're totally missing the point. So I'll spell it out for you nice and slowly! Stop shooting yourself and others in the foot by making comments without having given any thought to the possible ramification of your statements

you must be kidding right??  You think that those that may be reading ,think like you, that its more acceptable to spear a fish dead than catch and release one??

and to say its easy "Just because you can free dive and hold your breath does that make ok to kill an otherwise easy target??" must be understatment of the year!!!
ever dived in GT infested waters? bloody scary at times, you swear they want to bite your nose off they come that close to try to intimidate you.

JJ

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
August 17, 2010, 07:00:46 PM
Guys - enough please.

Theo, this really isn't the forum to come and push the case of spearfishers.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 18, 2010, 06:34:14 PM
Hi All,

Firstly I do not want to enter into or fuel any debate - just simply comment on one beautiful big GT

Man he was a cracker of a fish - who weighed it and on what scales ? -

I think I know where they would have shot him but cant be sure -though I am sure he is not the biggest or the only one.......but lets just say that you dont need a boat to have a shot at them in the right conditions.

I do also know I wont catch him on a popper which is a shame - "such is life"

Enjoy - 8)

steve clements

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 30, 2011, 09:14:44 AM
For what my opinion is worth. I'd rather see release pictures as opposed to fishmongers slab pictures but Theo does have a point in that the anti everythings do peruse forums like this to fuel their arguments, converseley, there is a lot to justify fishing for the pot, as opposed to simply sport which is where the tree huggers come into it with their emotive attitudes and anthropomorphising.
As for commercial netters etc, they are the biggest problem the seas face today.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 30, 2011, 10:38:14 AM
I had hoped this thread had died forever so I'll simply reiterate that this is a forum for GT Anglers.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Kurt Carlson

April 30, 2011, 04:59:54 PM
I think Brandon is correct on this one.  This is not the place to debate the right, or wrong of spearfishing.  I do think though that we need to really think before we criticize people for killing these fish.  In the parts of the world I have lived in most of my life they are a prized catch for the table.  Tongans stand is disbelief when I tell them I caught a 25kg GT and threw it back in the sea.  I think that the people that should be criticized are the ones that kill for the sport only, catch more than they need, catch them to sell, or over fish a  location beyond the point that can sustain a healthy population.  I will admit at the great risk of ridicule that I have eaten many Ulua and Papio during my 33 years in Hawaii.  With that said, I do believe that the current popularity of this sport is greatly increasing the knowledge that GTs can be wiped out from areas of the reef quite easily.  I have wholly adopted the 100% catch and release for all GTs that I catch and are caught by clients on my charters.  That does not mean that Jobbies, Trout and other wonderful table fare and not put in the chilly bin now and again.  So, if you are not a real veggie, then as an old Hawaiian friend of my used to say........."Take it Easy."