Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jerry Brown Hollow or Solid Core
February 18, 2010, 08:24:07 PM
I was wondering what the differance was between the Jerry Brown Hollow & Solid Core in terms of casting, diameter and anything else.

The line class I am after the info on is 130lb.

Are the benefits of the hollow just for splicing?

Cheers Jarrad
Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:03:18 PM by Jarrad Heritage

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Jerry Brown Hollow or Solid Core
February 25, 2010, 10:57:20 AM
I was wondering what the differance was between the Jerry Brown Hollow & Solid Core in terms of casting, diameter and anything else.

The line class I am after the info on is 130lb.

Are the benefits of the hollow just for splicing?

Cheers Jarrad

I don't use the line myself, however, hollow will not cast as far as solid core in general.

Hollow will hold more water, generally be thicker and therefore more surface for the wind to catch = less casting distance.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Jerry Brown Hollow or Solid Core
February 25, 2010, 12:35:50 PM
The main advantage of hollow is that it's easy to splice a loop into the end of it eliminating the need for the bimini. 

Also if you lose a large section of it you can splice a length back into itself to refill the spool rather than buy a whole new spool of line. 

Also some people splice a length of mono up the hollow which creates a perfectly smooth leader system which is ideal for casting and good for stickbaits (the idea being the single strand lets lure swim more freely and if the lure is subsurface then the leader is not as visible as all the shiny refelctive surfaces of a big ole twisted leader).

Like anything though you can't have it both ways and you do lose some casting distance as it is slightly bulkier than comparative strength single strand. 

I decided it wasn't for me in the 130lb version as our spots fish best with maximum casting distance and for the majority of my fishing 80lb suffices.  A such I conveniently have a spool of 130lb for sale  ::) ;D  http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=2047.msg20029;topicseen#msg20029  and at less than half the price of Nomad tackle shop price you're practically losing money buy not buying it and giving it a go  ;D  <--- (I hate it when people do that but I couldn't resist).  I'll even throw in the splicing needle.