Di Syahrial

GT got Bored
March 01, 2010, 04:23:07 AM
Hi,

Its might be a silly question to ask but sometimes I wonder when GT not biting, does GT got bored of the poppers we cast or its just theyre not around?

Iyal

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GT got Bored
March 01, 2010, 06:53:31 AM
I'm not sure if they get bored as such  ???but they will definitely get wary and stop striking even though they might still be in the area.  When you can still see them following the lure but not striking is a good time to swap lures quickly or grab the other rod with a different style of lure on it (ie stickbait) and try a couple more casts.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 01, 2010, 08:35:06 AM
I think they have definite bite times and this may be to do with the moon or tide or both. Sometimes I mark dozens of fish on the sounder and nothing will take any lure I use including jigs or trolled lures and at other times the first cast or jig dropped gets nailed. They have to eat so it is a matter of timing I think although the way my fishing went this weekend they may have been on a 48 hour famine effort. 

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2010, 09:02:19 AM
Sachin, they were to busy watching the Tsunami.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Stan Konstantaras

March 01, 2010, 05:17:26 PM
I think bite times are critical, and the dinner bell is never more evident when I chase kings and snapper.
Tide changes are the most important time from my observations, more evident in kings.
When downrigging, all I do is watch the sounder and see what relationship the bigger fish are having with the bait fish that hangs around structure.
Closer to tide changes the kings get agitated, start moving around pushing the bait around and start hitting live baits, happens all the time.
Snapper are the same, tides changes are critical.
100's of kings and 100's of reds on plastics  I have these guys worked out, GT's still not so sure :-\

I reckon if you had a popper that turned 180 degrees mid retrieve and went charging back at a following GT that had shied away the results would be different.
Mr Smug GT that shadowed a potential meal or intruder out of  his domain would not be as forgiving second time around if the popper headed back in  his direction a few seconds later.

Cheers
stan

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2010, 04:27:28 AM
Sachin, they were to busy watching the Tsunami.

I notice that right before a hurricane, and during and right after seismic events the GT here in Hawaii feed like there's no tomorrow.  Just my observations here in Hawaii while shore fishing.