Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which Rod?
July 24, 2007, 10:37:16 PM
Jon,

I was talking to a Japanese angler the other day that said Carpenter rods are based on Daiko blanks. Any truth to this?

Cheers,
Luke

Hi Rob ,

Yes , but Daiko won't sell the blank to anyone because both the mandrels and the lamination techniques
( intelectual properties ) belong to Carpenter . That is one reason Daiko pull out from producing Gt popping rod .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 01:51:49 PM
Jusr got myself a KOMODO DRAGON and couldn't be more stoked.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 03:11:25 PM
congrats- you've got yourself as good a stick as you're likely to find.
I feel sorry for Matt though who was so hoping to get onto a GT trip! Maybe one day.......
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 03:28:30 PM
Jusr got myself a KOMODO DRAGON and couldn't be more stoked.

Cam ,

I hope your SR30 stands up for the tasks , have a few very disappointed friends who used to own that reel including some in Australia . The Yanks are still behind when comes to producing strong enough spinning reel to the Japanese , IMHO .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 05:29:06 PM
Yes i feel for Matt too and what i nice guy.
Praying the Accurate holds up although have been looking at the Stella 10000 very hard and i would have more confidence in the Stella ,so we will see ,i am not scared to put the Accurate to the test and find out what happens,this could mean losing a good fish but at least i will no.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 05:35:33 PM
Cam - honestly, bring it along and give it everything you got on the reel. There is no point having a reel you don't have complete confidence in and there is no better testing ground than where we're going. I'd go as far as to say it is the ultimate testing ground. If the reel doesn't hold up, it's the least of your problems. Nomad have dozen of Stellas which you can use on your KD should the Accurate pack it in. Nothing to worry about and you certainly do not need to bring a spare reel.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 05:46:17 PM
Brandon do you think i should put some 100lb or even 130lb braid on it for the trip and really give it a hard time.
Yer had no intentions of bringing along a Stella when i could use NOMADs
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 12, 2007, 06:23:57 PM
Cam - I was going to get in touch with the people coming on that week to Marion next year about three months before on tackle but everyone seems to be stocking up now!

Mate, with what happened to the guys this year, I'd strongly suggest you do that. Have one spool of 130lb for when the XOS GTs come out to play. I doubt that any of us will be able to stop them even on tackle of that magnitude but at least it will give us a bit more chance.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 13, 2007, 09:00:32 PM
Cam,

The Twinspin is definately up to the task but i am increasingly hearing about problems from other anglers. Me personally, i had no problems - not in the same class as a Stella but can definately do the same job as long as it doesn't break! I comfortabley ran PE8, 10 and 12 on it and boated many GTs from 30 to 50kg+.

Just hope you don't break it as i have heard negative experiences about reel repairs and turnaround (again, this is information i have heard and not experienced myself).

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 13, 2007, 09:08:02 PM
Cam, as i've said before, find your feet first with PE6/8 but definately bring along PE10/12 for if the big boys come out to play. Get the fundamentals and basics right before you gun it out of the blocks with PE12 -  i have now seen way to many people have a frustrating, exhausting and discouraging experience going all out when they haven't understood and put into practice the basics - not saying this will be you but would hate to see that happen if that were your intention :)

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2007, 05:30:02 PM
Yer i have herd some bad things about the Accurate and experienced one drama with mine when jigging ,the thing just kind of seized up and i had to send it back to the states,4 weeks later i got it back ,some little screw had snapped inside it.
Accurate did look after me though with shirts and stickers.
I will definitely find my feet first with PE 6 and 8 before loading up with PE12.
I do have a stella 20000 but no point tacking that as Nomad have plenty of them,just keen to see if the Accurate is up to the task or not ,i will also be tacking an Accurate 665 overhead in case the weather is going to let us out for a jig ,will have this on a JM500 rod.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER