Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Jigging Rod
June 15, 2010, 10:43:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a new jigging rod and am seeking advice from my fellow jiggers.

I understand that without knowing specifics it is hard to recommend a rod so i will try and give as much information as possible.

About me:
I am approximately 185cm tall weighing just north of 100kg.
I would not claim to be the most experienced jigger on this site nor would i say i am inexperienced.
I believe that i am at an intermediate level.

Target:
- Kingfish
- Any other generally hard fighting pelagics on offer

Locations:
- Central Coast NSW (around Terrigal)
- Sydney
- South Coast NSW (Shoalhaven and beyond).

Rod Requirements:
- It will need to be able to comfortably fish PE6-8 for when line lbs class changes are required (i.e. summer vs winter Kingies).
- Be tippy enough to work a jig but have enough low end grunt to lift those dead weights at the end of the fight.
- I generally prefer short rods.
- I am looking for a new rod (not second hand).
- It has to look sexy (being the tackle whore that i am).

Further Information:
- I am planning to purchase this rod (if i have decided yet) by July (i.e. tax refund).
- Cost is not that much of a factor. If it is a quality rod i do not mind forking out.
- I don't mind waiting for a overseas order if i have to.

Current considerations:
- Patriot Design Grand Imperial Vertical Competition Ultra 52
- Ripple Fisher Jig 5215

I am also looking into the Jigging Master Power Spell range though do not have many details as yet.
I am also not too keen on domestic models.

All totally different beasts i am aware.

I will be teaming this up with a Shimano Stella 10000SW (the one i didn't sell).

Your comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: New Jigging Rod
June 15, 2010, 10:51:55 PM
Carpenter OH56MH-S .  ;D

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 15, 2010, 11:11:13 PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the suggestion. If i decide on this, do you know where these rods can be sourced in Australia or do i need to order direct from Japan?

53,000.00 JPY = 676.492 AUD

Price not too bad either for a high end Japanese pedigree rod.

Cheers,
Chris

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 16, 2010, 09:45:37 AM
Hi Chris,

Carpenter OH56MH-S will be good but I'm not sure how difficult to get it before July.

I think Valley Hill EXP-53XS will be also good for your purpose. This rod si short and has softer tip and has good power on butt. This is the spinning version of the rod Mogi san caught nice doggie at Marion Reef while ago.

http://valleyhill.taniyamashoji.co.jp/catalogue/page01.jsp?mode=id/222

This is very fancy rod as factory standard rod!

Cheers,
Tak

Sha Zhang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 16, 2010, 01:46:37 PM
Hey Chris,

If you are planning on targeting Kings of NSW, I don’t think you need such a heavy stick, the king you get here in NSW are most likely between 4-8kg which gives you the opportunity to use an lighter outfit something in the likes of PE4 capable rod would be plenty and it will be much more fun and less taxing on the body. With a decent PE4 rod and balanced combo I don’t think there will be a king in Sydney that will reef you, if you use the rod and fight the fish at the right angles you can put some serious hurt of the fish. Unless you plan to get one rod and use it at other locations such as NZ or Perth for Sambos or then a slightly heavier PE6-8 rod would be better suited. But trust me Chris you will appreciate a lighter outfit by the end of a heavy jigging day. 

As for Capenters rod you will not find anyone in Sydney that will stock them, your best bet will be to import one straight from Japan, I know there is a shop that stock Ripples if you don’t know already PM me and I will give you details so I won’t upset any for the sponsors here.

Cheers,
Sha

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 16, 2010, 03:53:15 PM
Hi Shah,
Yeah i know extractly what you mean about the overkill though the spot we fish down the South Coast has been producing Kings over 12kg consistently in the last few years, with the record for my group of fisho's being 22kg.

With reference to the Caprenter OH56MH-S, this is a PE 5-8 rod and i was thinking if i run 50lb through it, it should be okay. Or how about the PE 4-6 Patriot Design Diamond 52? Have you heard much about or used a Patriot rod?

I am also looking into JM now.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 16, 2010, 08:40:24 PM
Hi,

Can anyone provide feedback on thw Zenaq Fokeeto 53-16?

Thanks,

Chris

Marc Towers

June 16, 2010, 10:27:47 PM

Hi Chris,

The Fokeeto 53-16 is a nice rod - i think it would fit the bill, - however, personally i would choose a Smith Nirai 55 rod over the Fokeeto - nice and light, with a tip that can still impart action to fairly light jigs, and a good reserve of power when needed.

For the fish you are looking at targetting, i would also suggest that you give the Fisherman Spinoza Amberjack a look-in - definitely a rod that can be used all day (mine is paired up to a Stella 10K fishing 80 lb braid) and providing you are not using it to target 100 kilo dogtooth, i believe it can handle most of the work that you will use it for; can be customised with gold cermet guides etc...nice rod, and has the flexible tip due to its glass fibre component which imparts a good action to jigs.

Cheers, Marc.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 17, 2010, 09:40:54 PM
Hi Guys,
I have considered all of the suggestions, which were much appreciated, and surprisingly, when in a tackle shop this evening had a play with a JM350-S which is totally not what i was after. Im am an inch away from purchasing this. I absolutely love it.

Anyone know what the best price is for this rod and where from?

Please PM info to me. Dont want to be unfair to sponsors.

Cheers,
Chris