Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The conundrum with cameras .......
April 02, 2010, 07:38:40 AM
I was wondering how people handled their camera gear on trips and what their choice of equipment is.

I always find this is a difficult compromise to be had between convenience and ultimate quality of picture. Obviously, SLRs take the best pictures but they're hardy convenient to carry around. At the other end of the spectrum, the little waterproof cameras like the Olympus' are just so convenient but their pictures are only so-so and the shutter lag could drive a man mad!

Currently, I'm carrying an Canon G10. I have the waterproof casing but this sure is a big unit. Still not quite sure I've found the right compromise.

The photos from this leave those from my little Olympus for dead and it is an acceptable size without the waterproof casing but then there is the challenge of then ensuring you keep it dry and away from the saltwater whilst still having it accessible. I've just gotten my hands onto a small Ortleib waterproof case that is also padded. This was recommended by Malcolm Crane and it certainly looks the goods.

The search continues .........

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: The conundrum with cameras .......
April 02, 2010, 08:08:55 AM
Brandon...is that case fully waterproof? As you know I have the same setup as you except I got the pov version (G9). I find the best option when out on the water is to keep the whole unit in the waterproof housing. I keep it all safe by putting it in a neoprene reel case ,Daiwa medium I think. Then I know I can just throw the whole thing into my tackle bag amongst hooks and lures etc without it getting damaged or wet, result is it's ready to go all the time. ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 08:15:52 AM
Hi Crusty - I've got the waterproof casing for the G10. Does the waterproof casing fit into that neoprene reel case?
You're talking about something like a Dogfight reel bag?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 08:21:13 AM
When out on the rocks, I have my camera in one of those small drybags you can get from the outdoor stores like paddy pallin, kathmandu. They come in various sizes and seal up nicely and stop the water . Never had any issues with those bags so far.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 02, 2010, 08:24:20 AM
Yes, Like dogfight bag but with no handle part. Just make sure you sew the strap onto the housing because it will come undone at the worst time, don't worry the camera in case will float but the first time it happens is real heart in mouth stuff.

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 09:16:38 AM
I'm about to try the Panasonic Lumix Ft1: http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-lumix-dmc-ft1-339294668.htm

Supposedly waterproof, dust proof and shock proof to being bumped or dropped. It is a compact with limited manual control but at 12megapixels more than enough for digital images or even printing a few. Of course its going to produce no where near as good photos as a digital SLR or equivalent but for the sake of being able to pull it out and take good looking snaps it looks like a reasonable option.

My main concern on buying a compact was the speed it took the photo as that latency can be very annoying. Testing it in a shop the other day, this model felt pretty instant and was faster than equivalent the Olmypus Tough compact offering. The FT1 has just been superseded by a new model - FT2, similar cosmetics and same basic camera but at an increased 14megapixels. It has made the price drop on the FT1 from 500 a month ago to around 300-400 new so seems like a good time to purchase.

I'll get some photos from it up sometime soon.

Callan Wallace

April 02, 2010, 10:00:25 AM
We use a Canon G10 in a waterproof housing and I have just ordered two GoPro cameras. They shoot HD video and 5 megapixel images. Will see how they go. Tried an Olympus water proof point and shoot but did not like the images.

AustralianAngling

April 02, 2010, 10:17:13 AM
Only problem with housing for Canon G series is can not fit polarizing filter which makes all the difference in the photo quality.
Currently using G11 with Lens mate adaptor and Kenko PRO1D circular polarizer kept in pelican case with digital video camera, OLYMPUS 725 waterproof kept in pocket for quick snaps.
This site is great for reviews and camera info http://www.dpreview.com/

jarrodday

April 02, 2010, 10:02:37 PM
Brandon, I am shooting a Canon 40D and due to upgrade to the 50D. The lens is a Sigma 10-22mm and shoots a magnificent pic. also have UV and polar filter. this camera has seen a lot of salt water, sand and been dropped repeatedly and somehow still works a treat. although I am wanting to get into underwater photography I am going to Purchase a Lumix ($400) and is 12megapixels.
As for the 40D as big as it is, I have a special bag I got in from Singapore that carries everything in it I need.

It is hard photographing and fishing which is why these days i spend more time taking photo's. Most people don't know how to use camera's correctly which is why i spend a lot of time doing so......to get the right shot.

So far, My 40d has over clocked itself and is up to about 15000 photo's. My last, a Canon 350d shot over 20,000 images before I upgraded........

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 10:36:23 PM
Still not quite sure I've found the right compromise.

I don't really like to compromise when it comes to cameras on trips. SLR all the way for me, even if it means carrying a bit of extra weight or being a little more inconvenient. I'm due to upgrade soon and will probably get a pelican case.

Colin P

April 03, 2010, 11:22:11 AM
I shoot an old version Canon 5D in the dry (old camera but great images if married to L series lenses - very expensive lenses and worth every penny) and am about to buy a Canon D10 for wet/underwater shots.  Lots of reviews suggest that this is the top image producer of newish waterproof cameras (came out last year) and it is relatively cheap, small and 12MGP.

Of course there is no compact or waterproof camera that can compete with an SLR combined with a great lens (especially if you shoot RAW rather than JPEG). That said, it all depends on what use you make of your images and how much processing you want to do after a trip. You certainly do not need expensive kit to post perfectly good images on the forum!

I keep my 5D and lenses dry in a Lowepro waterproof camera bag for transit and in a small, sealable Lifeventure bag in action.

Rob Ciotucha

April 03, 2010, 02:15:43 PM
Colin how do you find the Lowepro waterproof bag? Ive been looking at the the dryzone 100 but cant make my mind up between that or a pelican case.

Cheers
Rob

Colin P

April 03, 2010, 06:08:01 PM
Colin how do you find the Lowepro waterproof bag? Ive been looking at the the dryzone 100 but cant make my mind up between that or a pelican case.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

I've had my dryzone 100 for many years and it's been subjected to temps of -40 in Canada, +48 in Oman and torrential rain in an open boat (everywhere). Can't speak for other waterproofs 'cause I've never felt the need to change. One tip - if you buy one, make sure you lubricate the zipper that closes the waterproof section before every trip (if it doesn't operate smoothly, the zipper can fail to close properly and render the thing non-waterproof). Any kind of silicon gel (supplied with it) or spray will do.

Cheers

Colin

PS
When I don't fill the case with camera gear, I top it up with a couple of my reels (despooled) - nice way to carry some onto the plane with you!
Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:16:18 PM by Colin Pacitti

Santosh Shanmuga

April 04, 2010, 10:01:09 AM
I have a Nikon D90. I have a waterproof lens and camera bag that I just stow in a dry hatch on the boat. I leave the camera on the console, and just grab it when I need it.