jerome chavet

Doggy , shockleader or fluoro
January 11, 2011, 09:30:15 AM
Hi,

I going for a trip to try to land some doggies in Tanzania at the end of january.

What do you use for terminal :

shockleader such as Fisherman , or fluorocarbon such as Varivas , which size ? 100lbs or 150 lbs ?

I choose a stock of hooker and anathan, william vortex, haoli lamble bait, fcl labo sl jigs,   would you have another idea for good jigs for doggies

my jigging gear :

black hole cape cod 350 + JM PE 7   braid varivas big one 86lbs
jm three kings 300 + accurate 600 NN braid varivas big one 86 lbs

Thans a lot for your help and ideas  :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Doggy , shockleader or fluoro
January 11, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
Jerome, personally I do not find doggies biting through leader to be a particular problem as they tend to strike more from the bottom. I think a bigger issue is getting a hook up at all as they so often miss the hook around the head region. I have lots of jigs with big lumps bitten out of the back end!

On that basis I tend to use shock leader only (around 200 lbs).  I do not think there is anything wrong though with a using a shock leader and then a short length of hard fluoro as bite leader - maybe 30 to 40 cms

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 11, 2011, 10:33:01 PM
Hi Jerome,

I have hardly caught my share of Doggies but I use standard Varivas nylon 150lb/200lb of around 6 metres in length...

I connect via 5 turn Uni knot to solid ring or swivel.

Luke

Alban Regnoult

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 01:47:51 AM
Catch and Release should be a reflex.

jerome chavet

January 12, 2011, 07:36:53 AM
Thanks to everybody;

I will put fisherman 150lbs shockleader with AG knlot on the solid ring, and PR knot.

I am very curious to see if doggy is really the best fighter   :)

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2011, 02:51:15 AM
Hi Jerome,
i suggest you a Fluorocarbon leader not more then 130lb, i am using 100lb and  i am getting more strike then the rest of the guys,
the speed jigging will definetly get you a strike and i wish you all the luck when it comes into landing the fish  :)
i lost 16 jigs in the past 3 days in Fiji and i hooked up some nice monster fish with locked drag almost all the way and still manage to loose the fish,
you have to be good on getting a strike and very lucky to keep the fish on your line,
they bite through the leader and the assist cord.

Tight lines
     Sami

jerome chavet

January 14, 2011, 05:58:40 AM
Thanks Sami for this advice, i keep big terminal such as 200 lbs for popping and 100 lbs for jigging, and with a little luck......big doggy? :) :) that's my dream, a really big one

Alexandre Charbit

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 30, 2011, 09:03:05 AM
Jerome, personally I do not find doggies biting through leader to be a particular problem as they tend to strike more from the bottom. I think a bigger issue is getting a hook up at all as they so often miss the hook around the head region. I have lots of jigs with big lumps bitten out of the back end!

On that basis I tend to use shock leader only (around 200 lbs).  I do not think there is anything wrong though with a using a shock leader and then a short length of hard fluoro as bite leader - maybe 30 to 40 cms

Hi Mark,
How do you connect a fluoro bite leader to the shock leader? Are you using a swivel or solid ring or do you knot them directly one to the other?
many thanks,
Alexandre