• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Power Rod for Jigging
April 05, 2010, 12:28:46 PM
It's animal! I'm wondering who put that one on the drawing board and who field tested it!

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 05, 2010, 01:03:06 PM
Thanx for all the many suggestions guys. Have narrowed it down to prob the JM PS500 or the Valleyhill Mogi Special, which is suited within my price range, although the inner samurai is telling me to go Mogi all the way! :P

Quick question though...Is it true that the Valleyhills are Made in China? While I'll bear in mind that most China factories are closing the gap in terms of quality comparison, and yes, components are Japs all the way, anyone out there can give me a rundown on their experiences or opinions regarding China made Japanese rods? If anything, it's just to be sure that i get what i pay for...Quality stuff!

Just to share a little, this kind of fishing is brutal on both anglers and fish. Ensuring you get the best in tackle quality don't necessarily mean you'll end up with that fish of a lifetime. But like any other sport for that matter, this extreme style of fishing is plenty addictive! Our more sporting anglers will try to bring in the fishes as quickly as under 10 minutes or so ensuring better survival rates during release. On average you'd get GTs between 5-20kgs, all possible to bring it in quick for the snap-&-splash! It's only the occasional mamas which really put a hurt on the angler and fish. That's why some are just too dead to release. Damn shame though.

Here's a CR from one of our local forums. As you can see, the platforms are really close! (scroll all the way down)

http://gamefish.my/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=766&KW=helang

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2010, 01:35:25 PM
Gonna hijack my own thread, and divert to another topic for a while. Moving away from close quarter jigging, would like to know how these few rods perform in open waters.

Previously mentioned Smith AMJ S52EX, Smith WRC55 Nirai and the Carpenter OH56MH-S. Intended for deep water jigging of up to 500gms (although realistically only gonna be jigging 300 grammers...am not superman!), 100++ meters of water, for possible big 30-70kg class doggies, AJs, tunas etc. Need something light and robust, to match the Stella 20k, for whole day jigging.

The Carpenter is slightly longer and heavier although it does have a heavier ratings (up to 700gm jigs and rated to PE10). And just how does the 2 Smiths compare to each other? One supplier did say that the AMJ has a slight flex at the fore handle are under heavy load? How true is dat,..oh masters of Smiths? I do love the lightweight-ness of the Smiths!

I guess it boils down to this. Do i really need something as heavily rated as the Carpenter, when all i need is either the 2 Smiths, or any other rods like the Smiths for dat matter?

Narc

April 06, 2010, 10:26:37 AM
Hi Samuel,

Is that you with the GT?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 06, 2010, 10:37:57 AM
I never had a chance to test the Three Kings M and H rods I took to Fiji [thanks Cyclone Thomas], but having a good look at them and loading them up I would be more then happy with the H over the PS500 for it's lighter tip action.

PS: Have you any in the shop Cam?

Yip they sell pretty quick, very nice rod with plenty of grunt down low
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 06, 2010, 12:28:53 PM
Hi Samuel,

Is that you with the GT?

No. That's just some lucky bloke down in dat area.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2010, 01:40:23 PM
Hi Samuel,

Is that you with the GT?

Not so lucky for the fish, do you know if he tried to release it?

Narc

April 06, 2010, 06:26:36 PM
Hi Samuel,

Is that you with the GT?

That fish was landed with a 4'8" Synit Venom 550FT, fish weighed 51kg.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 10, 2010, 01:27:04 PM
How about a Xzoga SA 500-55?
It's an animal of a rod.

CW

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 10, 2010, 04:16:39 PM
Whatever rod you get, it needs to be a grunt mill.
I reckon big GTs are tougher than dogtooth when jigged.
Caught a 35kg one once and it damn near had me throw the rod in the water.

Kaiser Pro Shop

December 22, 2010, 07:32:26 PM
Gonna hijack my own thread, and divert to another topic for a while. Moving away from close quarter jigging, would like to know how these few rods perform in open waters.

Previously mentioned Smith AMJ S52EX, Smith WRC55 Nirai and the Carpenter OH56MH-S. Intended for deep water jigging of up to 500gms (although realistically only gonna be jigging 300 grammers...am not superman!), 100++ meters of water, for possible big 30-70kg class doggies, AJs, tunas etc. Need something light and robust, to match the Stella 20k, for whole day jigging.

The Carpenter is slightly longer and heavier although it does have a heavier ratings (up to 700gm jigs and rated to PE10). And just how does the 2 Smiths compare to each other? One supplier did say that the AMJ has a slight flex at the fore handle are under heavy load? How true is dat,..oh masters of Smiths? I do love the lightweight-ness of the Smiths!

I guess it boils down to this. Do i really need something as heavily rated as the Carpenter, when all i need is either the 2 Smiths, or any other rods like the Smiths for dat matter?

Hi Samuel,

You will like the "Dog Stick" Synit a lot!

cheers,
mark

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 05, 2011, 08:21:47 PM
Mark,

Major orgasm when I finally got the Dog Stick. Seems way too precious to flog, but flog it I will. Thanx for the great job of customing the Synit.  8)

Sam.

Kaiser Pro Shop

January 06, 2011, 03:29:28 PM
Mark,

Major orgasm when I finally got the Dog Stick. Seems way too precious to flog, but flog it I will. Thanx for the great job of customing the Synit.  8)

Sam.

Our pleasure Sam!

Hope to meet you some day soon.

cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2011, 05:25:45 PM
I still want some poor unfortunate bastard to get the Zenaq Monster Buster - for iron man!!   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

jerome chavet

January 12, 2011, 07:48:23 AM

Hi

If you want to jig the whole day with heavy jigs, you have to buy overhead jigging rod, it is easier to jig with heavy jigs, according to me.

you have nice rods : Black Hole Cape Cod which are sold bu my friend Kil Song, as i am beginner i don't know if it's allowed to put commercial links on this forum, but with google you may easily find this rod.
lighter than JM but more lifting power.
look is not very fancy such us JM but very good rods, and less expensive than big brands  :) :)