Ron Katz

Rod recommendations?
April 10, 2010, 10:19:38 AM
Hi everybody!

I’m new to the world of popping so please could you give me some recommendations about good allround popping rods. I read Brandon’s guide for choosing the right rod and I've browsed the forum and net, but as I’m new to this type of fishing I’d appreciate your recommendations a lot!

I’m thinking to mate the rod to Shimano Stella 18000SW, the lure weights should normally be between 100-150g (chuggers mainly) and fish size 10-30kg mainly. Casting distance and lightness is more important than extreme backbone for ultraheavy fish hadling (although I feel that I’m strong enough to handle heavier rods also).

I have considered following rods already:

Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Surface/Deep Monster (what's the difference?)
Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Long Cast
Hots Gipang 83H
Carpenter SP78H SHP
Carpenter SP80M
Smith WRC 80P/35
Smith Keyolhu GTK 77BG
Sevenseas Big Pop 76
Ripple Fisher 82LC

I would prefer long casting and light, but strong rod capable of handling the lure and fish sizes I specified. Also full international warranty would be nice, because the rods are so expensive… I’m especially interested of Shimano’s rods, because they can be bought from Germany and offer international warranties, but are they any good compared to more custom made rods?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rod recommendations?
April 10, 2010, 11:57:31 AM
Ron,

For a good combination/compromise of quality, rod weight, power and distance I could reccomend the SP80M. I've not tried all rods you list though.

A
Set the ray to GeeT

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 10, 2010, 07:00:10 PM
Thats a nice list of rods there Ron  8)

The rods you list cover a pretty wide range cost wise.....some of the pricier rods you list will be a bit nicer to use than some of the less expensive ones - so if your budget can stretch to it I would say go for either the Carpenter or the Ripple Fisher !!

Happy shopping.

David Lorenzato

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 10, 2010, 07:24:58 PM
hi ron, used my sp80m recently in fiji. excellent rod which can handle the fish but 150gm poppers are definately the rods limit. 

Ron Katz

April 14, 2010, 07:28:58 AM
SP80M is rated for max 190g lure, you mean that it can't handle over 150g lures? What would be the best rod in my list that could handle lure weights between 100-200g AND offer the other features I listed?

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 14, 2010, 07:46:03 AM
Ron, for those weights I'd consider a Komodo Dragon from Smith. It's one of the most versitile rods on the market.
AKA: Sunny

David Lorenzato

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 14, 2010, 10:01:10 AM
i will 2nd the komodo. excellent rod, very versatile. casted poppers from 120gm to 180gm without a problem.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 14, 2010, 10:36:42 AM
Fish under 20kg are going to be very boring on a KD IMO.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 14, 2010, 11:24:42 AM
Komodo dragon is a great rod but you'll want to be a really good caster if you want to get long casting out of it.