Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: carmate rod tube
January 28, 2010, 05:23:03 AM
Rohit - have you actually seen a Nature Boys Case?
I have to say, I'm not a big fan

I have never seen one in the flesh but Kil posted lots of pics and a review of both brands and the NB case looks the goods. especially concerning the ability of either one resisting collapse if extended

I have been handling PE cases meant for secure storage for the past 10 years and going by the just the pics the hinges on the NB case are a 1 piece molding while the carmate uses attached hinges. I have seen a number of transport cases with attached hinges not being attached anymore. Such is the nature of PE. On the clip side the clips on the NB case does appear to be something that wont maintain integrity over long term while on the carmate the clip is complimented with a some sort of screw nut mechanism, however head holding the screw or bolt heat captive is plastic over metal and that wont be durable in the long run. Looking closely at the pic of the NB case, there are holes proved for a similar purpose. Next to the holes there are oval slots. A pair of small padlocks on each will keep the body of the padlocks from protruding away from the case if kept inside the ovals. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some that fit nice and snug. One slightly larger padlock on the center strut will maintain the integrity of the case over the entire length in conjunction with the two smaller ones. Off course, since I haven't actually seen one in the flesh I could be totally wrong

The best thing that I like about the NB case though is that it will accommodate 1pc 6' jigging rods or tip sections without extending

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 02:03:46 PM
Rohit

I was simply trying to be helpful being very familiar with both cases but entirely up to you what you want to buy!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 03:11:20 PM
I know mate and I appreciate all your advice. I wish to be able to both in the flesh too before biting the bullet

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 10:29:26 AM
Anyone know where you can order the lock (with key) for a carmate online??
AKA: Sunny

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 10:48:56 AM

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 12:43:44 PM

You have got a pm .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

AustralianAngling

January 29, 2010, 06:24:50 PM

I have several cases coming shortly. I can get lock included in shipments.
Normally have in stock.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2010, 09:15:24 PM
Hi Sunny ,

Check the images of the lock .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 02, 2010, 02:30:43 PM
I was going to order a key lock for my carmate but it would seem that the bottom end can be slid off once the screw is removed thereby rendering a lock at the top section useless?

Or am i missing something?  Wouldn't I need a lock on the bottom sliding section as well?

How many rods do you think will fit in a carmate ncluding butt sections?

Thanks Again.
Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:50:01 PM by Darren Cook

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 03:25:01 PM
I got one with a lock and one without. I found that the lock is pointless for me because I tend to tape the ends up with gaff tape. It takes a while to remove the gaff tape - more difficult that breaking a lock!!

No Darren, you're not missing anything. I tend to tape up the screw section as well to provide a bit of protection against the way the airlines tend to mistreat my bag.

I can comfortably fit eight rods into a Carmate with little effort. If I want more than this, I have to be more judicious with my packing.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 03:43:57 PM
Agree with Brandon but managed to fit only 6 rods + handles so far , I usually put towel / T shirt to fill the spaces so the rods are secured inside the tube .

Jon .

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 02, 2010, 03:47:59 PM
Thanks Brandon and John, I'll be happy with 4 popping rods, 2 jig rods and some towell padding.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2010, 09:57:48 PM
How many rods do you think will fit in a carmate ncluding butt sections?

I know Duncan managed to fit 7 rods in his when we left Bugatti. I usually get at least 6 without any trouble.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2010, 07:22:49 PM
Just packed my carmate for St Brandons next week.  It swallowed 3 heavy popper rods up to 8ft long, 2 jigging rods, 2 light popper rods and 2 fly rods inc. all butt sections - with a tube length of 6ft1ins.  Best way I've found of packing rods is to put 2 rods on the floor (on a sheet of bubblewrap) as close together as you can with the rings facing each other.  Then repeat this for the remaining rods - placing them on top of the bottom two.  Leaves you with a very neat stack which you pull the bubblewrap over and secure with rod bands.  Slide this in the case and slip the butt sections around the outside :)

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2010, 07:31:24 PM
The best person I've seen pack one of these tubes is Malcolm Crane, he's like Houdini, rods just disappear in there at his will :o