Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice for Andaman trip
April 03, 2010, 09:30:20 PM
Hello everyone
I'm new to the site.
I need advice on poppers , stickbaits and jigs. Color and size for Andaman trip in jan/feb -11.
I'm planing to take my kgs70m, carpenter sp80m and wgj-s56h rods.
Reels would be stella 6 fa, 10 fa and 18sw.
Best regards
Michael

Dan Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Advice for Andaman trip
April 04, 2010, 01:15:15 PM
Hi Michael

Are you going with Gamefish India? They'll be able to give you some more up to date advice, but when I fished with them 18 months ago we did very well on a variety of patterns. There are numerous schools of busting mackerel type baitfish that bust up around the place making an arse-heavy pencil type popper with a good 'slapping' action a good bet. My mate used one of these pretty much the whole time we were there. Conversely, strong currents can stir up the water a bit and I used big cup faced lures almost exclusively and fished the pants off him (by 1 GT).

Short jigs were definitely the go when we were there.

Don't forget to have a chilli mud crab in Port Blair.

Cheers

Dan

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2010, 12:21:30 AM
Hi Dan
Thank you for replying,
I actually don't now if its Gamefishing India.
Its on Havelock Island that much i know.
Any particular colors that worked better than others.
Is it OK with Shimano butterfly's and what weights.
Cheers
Michael

Ron Katz

April 10, 2010, 10:34:59 AM
Hi Michael,

I was couple of weeks ago there and did popping around Havelock for couple of days with Surmai Fishing Club. I had same experiences than Dan with the big cup faced lures, so use lures that splash as much as possible (we used River2sea Dumbell poppers + my own handmade poppers). In January and February the weather can be quite windy in Andamans so smaller cup faced lures like pencil poppers are easier to use (they don't "jump" out of water). Blue, blue/silver, red/white and dark green (almost black) were the best colors. And prepare for long casts (those are needed)!

Btw, I wonder did you get the last SP80M from Seawoodtackle (lucky you)... Not in stock anymore, just checked.

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 11, 2010, 05:08:58 AM
Hi Dan
Thanks a million , that's the kind of advice i need. people like you, who have been there and have some personal experience.
and yesssss. i got the last carp. sp80m i think in Europe :) :D ;D ;D :o 8) ??? ::) :P :'(.

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 11, 2010, 05:18:12 AM
i was at the danish coast yesterday trying out my new carp. and the cubera 125 (70-80mtrs. from the shore().vs my shimano gt special(60-70mtrs.). the carp. throws a lot longer, easyer to pop, no pain  but no seatrouts ;)

Colin P

April 11, 2010, 05:41:46 PM
Hello everyone
I'm new to the site.
I need advice on poppers , stickbaits and jigs. Color and size for Andaman trip in jan/feb -11.
I'm planing to take my kgs70m, carpenter sp80m and wgj-s56h rods.
Reels would be stella 6 fa, 10 fa and 18sw.
Best regards
Michael

I last fished around Havelock for a couple of days during a trip in February last year. Fishing over the sunken reefs in relatively flat seas I got most action from Cubera 150s & GT Mania 130s (color seemed irrelevant). Fishing towards the rock walls and choppy seas of Barren Island (site of an active volcano) I used Cubera 150s almost exclusively but if I'd had 180s I think they'd have proved even more effective. Didn't do much jigging but short jigs around 200gms worked fine (especially on GT) when we did.

I'm going again in October this year - so you'll be able to read the ups and downs of a catch report before you go!! ;D

Cheers

Colin