jerry dollar

new caledonia info request
July 07, 2007, 11:29:22 AM
i am headed to NC in a few months. will arrive 4 sept. and deer hunt for a week, then rent a car and head north on 10 sept. the plan is to just drive up the west coast to Boat Pass, then come back down the east coast, stopping and fishing wherever the mood strikes me. last nite will be spent in Noumea and head home on 17 sept. i would greatly appreciate any advice on places to stop where the fishing is accessible from shore, places to stay, places to avoid, etc. i am bringing flyfishing tackle(8, 10 and 13 wt gear), 20 and 40 lb spinning gear, and 30 and 50 lb conventional gear. i would also be interested in offshore fishing if i could find someone to split the charter with. if any of you local guys have any suggestions, fire away!!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: new caledonia info request
July 08, 2007, 07:56:22 PM
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the site.

In addition to the email i sent you some time back....

You simply need to take the one road from Noumea and travel to the north - there are stacks of areas that you could explore and cast a rod. You will be able to see river mouths, reefs and luminous flat systems while driving along. However, I would take caution when entering the flats and coastal areas in certain parts of the Northern Province - the local native people do not like you fishing in their fishing grounds.

At Malabou (near Boat Pass) there is a breakwall and little bay at the Malabou Beach house - use spinning gear with poppers, metal slices and soft plastics for anything from big GTs, Mangrove Jacks, Barracuda, assorted cods and groupers etc. Apart from Bonefish at Boat Pass, cast into the main channel for just about anything - spin or fly.

Unless you can get a boat, i would leave the overhead gear at home - there's far better fishing around than trolling.

Unfortunately, i think you will find it difficult to find someone to split a charter with at that time - but since you have joined this site, there are members that regularly go there from this forum that you may be able to hook-up with in the future.

I also know about a secret flats spot which has massive GTs that haunt the shallows - but that's for me to explore further in the future ;) or, you need to tag along with me next time ;D

Cheers,
Luke

Nathan

Re: new caledonia info request
July 08, 2007, 09:47:36 PM
I'll go!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D