Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef Guides report 19 April 2010
April 19, 2010, 11:22:30 AM
Chris report: Made a plan to fish my way down to turrum cay. Planned to fish the blue holes and fingers of reef on the light stuff. The morning was a little slow but picked up late morning finding a massive school of bludgers, gold spot, long toms and found plenty of schools of long tails. I got the guys into some beaut gold spots and bludgers and you could say we caught the whole school. I focused on getting the guys out of the wind today as it did affect us for the GTs. The bludger and gold spot session lasted most of the day with schools and schools of them banked up against the reef feeding. In the afternoon I wanted to get the guys into the GTs at the back of the mothership and we did just that pulling out a nice GT of around 25-30kg which ended the day very nicely.

Damon Report:- Had David and Rudy from LPB in New Cal onboard today. David missed a 50kg plus fish in a blue hole on some kind of huge Full Scale skipping popper. Rudy missed a 35kg fish late in the day, and David landed a nice GT around 28kgs. Graham also missed a couple of very large GTs, but they all really just swiped at the lures. Otherwise we landed 4 smaller GTs and some goldspot trevally and mackerel. We figured out why the GTs are biting a bit slow at the moment. There is a massive amount of small whitebait along the edges of all the reefs, more than I have ever seen anywhere before. We had been thinking that the GTs are switched on to feeding on very small bait, and as such are not eating our poppers or anything else large. After talking to David and Rudy, they said the same thing has happened to them in New Cal before, and the Gts are hard to catch when there are masses of whitebait. Of course the mass of whitebait means that the fishing for mackerel, goldspot trevally, bludger trevally and longtail tuna, as well as reef fish is simply amazing at the moment. Anyway, all up we had a good day considering it was blowing 30kn for most of the day.

Nick Report:- The morning started off pretty well drifting in and out of blue holes on the way down to Turrum Cay. Casting poppers in the blue holes then switching to light gear over the flats the guys got stuck in early with sharkies, bludgers and gold spot travelly. We also managed to pluck a GT from one of the blue holes we drifted over which was and added bonus. With the bludgers wearing the guys out for most of the day we had our hands full and didn't spend too much time searching for the elusive GT's for now. Awesome day for the light gear.

Glanville report:- Despite the horrid conditions that seem to be prevailing we managed to have a great day with plenty of fish to go around for everyone, the water was boiling with Bludger trevally as they churned up a froth on the surface and devoured anything in their tracks, I lost count on how many of them we caught on the light gear which made the guys forget about the rough conditions all together and in between that we managed to throw 1 Gt and a giant gold spot of around 10kg. The amount of white bait "sprats" that is around is absolutely unbelievable and massive size shoals are continuously getting chased and devoured as the mackerel and trevally get in for a feed.

Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:19:38 PM by Nomad Sportfishing