Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE8-10 jigging rod
April 20, 2010, 11:36:07 AM
Hey guys,

I am considering getting a heavier jigging rod (spin) for those special locations and big brutes out there.

I currently use a Hots Wei World 52XH as my heavier jig rod (I have a PE4-6 Smith as well) and it performs very well and is a joy to use generally.

However, I have found that whilst it is great to jig with, and will fish the level of drag necessary to land big fish, once you get into seriously big territory it is somewhat lacking in dead lift capacity, to get line back on stubborn fish sitting 20 or 30m under the boat at the end of a fight, when the fish has either given up and is dead weight, or is sitting on its side in the current.

I have particularly noticed this with a 63kg Dogtooth in Fiji and a 120kg+ black marlin out of Port Stephens....the rod is great to fight these fish with until this part of the fight, and then it just causes pain and lengthens the fight a lot

I appreciate that a heavier rod will probably come with less general comfort because it will be stiffer, but I would like to have a big gun to go to when the big fish are on. I think the Hots will still be my go to rod for 90% of my medium to heavy jigging. I am basically after something that will comfortably fish 300-500gm jigs (mainly 300 and 400) and PE8 line, with appropriate drag ratings and better deadlifting capacity than the Wei World. A big ask I know.

The difficulty I have is working out how stiff some of these rods are going to be and how practical to use. I am not a biy guy, weighing in at low to mid 60kgs, so I simply cannot use the brutest of the brute rods to anything like full effect.

I am thinking that rods like the JM Three Kings (prob a 350 model?), a JM Powerspell (maybe a 350 or 400)  may be suitable. I am willing to invest in something like a Fisherman Spinoza if that is a suitable rod, but I am not sure which model would best suit, it is hard to work out when some of them are rated to 1kg jigs whether they are viable for use with 300-400gm jigs, and funnily enough my local tackle store doesn't have a few for me to play with.

Other rods like the Hots One Pitch Slider and the Carpenter range are also in the mix, as would be the suitable Ripple Fisher model (I really like my RF popper rods, but can't work out whether the heavierRF jigging rods would be too brutal for me to use). I have discarded the Smith AMJ 52EX not because it is not up to the job, but because I already have a lighter AMJ and am after something a bit different.

Thoughts/feedback really appreciated.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: PE8-10 jigging rod
April 20, 2010, 01:08:35 PM
Hiya Scott,

I do alot of jigging and have done for many years now. Reading your post and explaining your details to good reality, I thought of the carpenter.

You'll probably do good in acquiring a carpenter OH55XH-S 5'5"ft one piece rated jigs 350 - 1000g line PE6 - PE10. I've got one and it's a beauty indeed.

I don't find this rod too stiff either and boy has it got some grunt in close quarters. I've used it three times and is comfortable in jig weights from 350 - 500 g no problem for my weight and height.

Of couse no shops in sydney would carry this carpenter type of rod. The jigging masters would be worth looking at also and would be more readily available. The JM400 and JM450 could be O.K., with the JM400 being a little softer in the tip. The JM450 would have more grunt down below. 

If you want to see my carpenter let me know no worries, let me know to arrange it. I live at Belfield, Sydney.

Regards

Leo     

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 20, 2010, 10:05:16 PM
Not sure if this is helpful but here are some pics of mine;

Rods are both lifting 7.5kg.

Hot's One Pitch Slider 56XH
PE6-10
Jig Max 420g

Ripplefisher 5620
PE8
Jig Max 560g

I'm not an experienced jigger by any means, and I've only been able to use both rods on a few trips last Sambo season. From my limited experience I've found that the Hot's loads up early, right into the foregrip and doesn't feel anything like the ripplefisher. Infact I fish it with a 8000sw-pg normally. The ripplefisher on the other hand feels stiffer with more 'backbone' and I fish it with a 20000sw.

Hopefully I'll get to give these rods a thorough workout this season.
Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:38:40 PM by Eric Tai

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
May 05, 2010, 06:59:58 PM
Hi Eric,

Am on the lookout for the Hots OPS as well. Just wanna know if its lighter then the RF5620 ur using? Does it feel like a PE8 reel since ur using only the Stella 8000? Im thinking of pairing the HOts with a Stella 20k.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2010, 10:26:56 PM
Hi Samuel,

The Hots is about 50g lighter than the RF5620. It is roughly 290g from memory.

It goes well with the 20k, but after I bought the RF5620 I decided there was no point in having two heavy combos.

If you look closely at the photos you'll see that the Hots has a more parabolic action, bending well into the fore-grip. It makes it feel like a PE6 rod when compared to the Ripplefisher, but if you look at some of the fish/tuna caught with the Hots on other forums you will see it is more than capable of handling PE8.

Having said that the Hots paired with lighter 8000sw-pg is such a light/sweeeeet combo!   

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 10, 2010, 04:11:46 PM
Hi Samuel,

The Hots is about 50g lighter than the RF5620. It is roughly 290g from memory.

It goes well with the 20k, but after I bought the RF5620 I decided there was no point in having two heavy combos.

If you look closely at the photos you'll see that the Hots has a more parabolic action, bending well into the fore-grip. It makes it feel like a PE6 rod when compared to the Ripplefisher, but if you look at some of the fish/tuna caught with the Hots on other forums you will see it is more than capable of handling PE8.

Having said that the Hots paired with lighter 8000sw-pg is such a light/sweeeeet combo!
Second that.
The website has some absolute monsters including Amberkack over 60kg so I think it has the guts.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2010, 05:40:06 PM
Have you considered moving up to the HOTS 48XXH?
If you are happy with yout current HOTS and need something a little heavier then this would be a natural progression.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2010, 11:05:41 AM
I had thought of the Hots 48, but I heard somewhere this was basically the same blank with some shaved off the tip, to give it a stiffer action for slightly heavier jigs...in which case it wouldn't have any real greater lifting capacity

Does anyone know if this is correct or not, and whether there is a marked difference between the lifting action/power on the two?

Chris Wong

June 04, 2010, 09:12:08 PM
the Hots 48XXH is a shortened 52XH .
The rod most suitable for you sounds like the 3 Kings Special H which is the 400g model.  M would be too light.
I definately don't recommend the One Pitch Slider because they are not robust enough and are not designed to be fought from the gimble.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 08, 2010, 11:42:10 AM
Hi,

How about a "Xzoga Taka-SA 500-55" with fuji sic guides (also comes with alconite guides as "Xzoga Taka-SA 500-170")?

I used one of these recently jigging for Kings and it is an animal rod. Would alse be an awesome stick for Marlin and alike on spin.

If you want a big brute of a jigging stick, this is the one.

5'5" in length, PE 6-10 with a max drag of 20kg.

Comes in an awesome red blank with matching red everything else.

In saying this though, this rod suits me. I am 6'1" 100kg so i dont mind a broomstick at times. You may not feel the same way. I know blokes that have used this stick and it has proven to be quite painfull.

Cheers,
Chris

Mack Carson

November 11, 2010, 04:50:38 AM
Hi.
Getting O\T for a minit.

I notice a lot mention Getting "tired" etc when jigging.
I'm 69 yr old and do it regularly. For days at a time. and a lot of popping for decent GT's up in Shoalwater.
(Just a tad North of us)

I do "outrigger" canoeing.  You should try it. Or Dragon boats.
They give you the arms shoulders Back and stomach muscles that you need.
 Along with the stamina for a long fight.
We train for 1 to 1 1\2 hrs Continous.. three times a week.
 More if you go with women too.
And I'm paddling with the 40 to 55 yr olds.
Keeps me fit.
And push biking in the hills for legs.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
November 11, 2010, 11:30:35 AM
Scott, I've got a 3 Kings M, its a nice rod but too light for what you are looking for.
Ditto for the Smith 52EX. 
Take a look at the Saltiga extreme 56 XH its a  2 stage blank, light tip but will easily haul the other rods backwards with but to spare!  I've reversed the reel seat on mine to get the right but length. Now its sweet!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 09:26:33 AM
Thanks Peter, I ended up getting a Ripple Fisher 5215, haven't tested it on anything big yet but got a few trout to 8kg and a spaniard about 10kg on it at Bligh, loads up nice but I think it will have plenty of grunt down low

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2014, 07:53:57 AM
Hello Scott,

Which line and reel do you use on it?
And what is the experience with the rod?

Best regards,

Arnout

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 03, 2015, 12:12:01 AM
A custom built seed "unlimited" is another red worth considering.

Truly amazing heavy jigging rod.