Chanin Puntawong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ripple Fisher Ultimo series
March 22, 2010, 05:45:42 AM
Hello gentlemen, I have sold off so many of my popping gear and would like to start stocking them up again, have been talking my friend about the Ultimo and seems like it is a very good rod, I am looking to be testing against Bluefin Tuna here in Cape Cod, I know this is a GT rod but from research, this rod will be ideal for this kind of fishing as well. I am looking at both the MH and H.

Can anyone please tell me more about these 2 rods and also is there anything else better? I was looking at the Fisherman GT Game but the Ripple Fisher is better suit.

Topper.
Official member of JigStrong

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Ripple Fisher Ultimo series
March 22, 2010, 11:36:40 AM
Hi Topper,

As you know these are fairly new rods so there might not be too much comment in here yet.

Richard Foong whom I believe is a key player in the rod design made a DVD with nomad at Bugatti last year, though I've not seen the film I believe you will see the rods in action in that movie.

I'm sure they will be great rods, the only reason I have not got one yet is because I already have a coral viper.

Cheers
A
Set the ray to GeeT

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 22, 2010, 08:36:32 PM
Hi Topper,

Picked up an Ultimo 79H a few weeks back.  Hope to test it out on a few GT's next month!

I would say the tip is perhaps a touch softer than a Fisherman GT Game but that the Ultimo might have a bit more grunt low down - I guess it should as the Ultimo is rated PE10 - I think the TRS is a PE8 rod. 

Vs a Smith Komodo the Ultimo has a softer tip and a deeper bend but to me doesn't feel too far away from the KD in terms of power when you get down deep into the butt.

Hope this helps mate.

Tight lines   Dave

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 20, 2010, 07:38:55 AM
Any updates on the Ultimo testing David??
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 20, 2010, 09:26:16 PM
Bun - I think Dave is at this moment chucking poppers at some St.Brandons leviathans with his 79H so will nmore than likely have a full report for us next week.... lucky bugger!

I've got a  2 x 78XH and 2 x 79H hopefully leaving on their way to me in the next 24 hours....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 21, 2010, 05:20:57 PM
I am interested to read the report/feedback, I have a 78XH and to be honest I think it is just too much rod for me, and likely to be too much rod for me even if I increase the strength training...I just don't have the frame to be a big guy....fought a fish maybe 38kg on this in Fiji and it was quite unforgiving, though a great rod to cast and work big poppers with

I like using big poppers so am interested in the idea of a similar rod but a bit more forgiving

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 21, 2010, 05:48:24 PM
Scott

Good to hear your thoughts on the 78XH.... I was convinced it was to be the rod for me, for big chuggers, but Dave Foyle added a little insight with regards to the 79H being more forgiving, and able to still handle the brutal pressure of big fish....

So I'm still in two minds about which rod to keep, and which to let go when they arrive.... I'm a fairly tall guy I guess at 6'1" or so, and relatively inshape ( not as in shape as I'd like ) and as I'm likely to be doing as much tuna fishing as GT fishing, perhaps a more forgiving stick is something I should consider...

I'm looking forward to having both in hand side by side and making the comparison myself before making a final choice...

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2010, 06:37:43 PM
Go on Neps, keep both  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 21, 2010, 07:32:06 PM
Yeah Andre I am 5'10" and weigh about 65kg....I am pretty fit, but I just don't have the muscle mass to use the 78XH anywhere near its full potential....its a really nice rod but I think I was just mad thinking I could handle it properly! When I hooked that decent fish my first thought was 'Cool' and my second thought was 'shit' and my third thought, much later, was 'ouch'

Launches the heavy poppers though  ;D

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 21, 2010, 08:34:08 PM
Bun - Oh how I wish I could keep both mate!!! That would mean purchasing ANOTHER 18K SW too...  :o ;D

Maybs - Good to hear first hand feedback mate... I've got about 2o or 25 kilos on you, but unfortunately probably not anywhere near as fit these days.... I like the thought of a beast brutal rod ( must be the macho South African in me.... ) but am aware that the reality is that I will do more injury than enjoyment to myself with the 78XH....

But I'll make that choice when in hand I reckon.... The 78XH will be easy for me to sell off here, as all South Africans believe bigger and stronger is better, that macho thing showing up again... and certainly in some of the waters in Mozambique, Seychelles, and Tanzania, a rod with the kind of muscle a 78XH has is a good thing to have....

We'll see how it goes, thanks for your feedback mate, real world testing and feed back from anglers like yourself really mean alot in helping out someone who doesn't get to fish nearly as often as he'd like!

mark gaal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2010, 09:29:48 PM
I weigh 78kgs and are pretty fit due to work  but after putting some line through and xh I too felt it was a bit more rod than I could handle and will go with the H and hopefully a flex. What is max casting weight for the ultimo??

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 08:03:45 PM
Bun - Oh how I wish I could keep both mate!!! That would mean purchasing ANOTHER 18K SW too...  :o ;D

Maybs - Good to hear first hand feedback mate... I've got about 2o or 25 kilos on you, but unfortunately probably not anywhere near as fit these days.... I like the thought of a beast brutal rod ( must be the macho South African in me.... ) but am aware that the reality is that I will do more injury than enjoyment to myself with the 78XH....

But I'll make that choice when in hand I reckon.... The 78XH will be easy for me to sell off here, as all South Africans believe bigger and stronger is better, that macho thing showing up again... and certainly in some of the waters in Mozambique, Seychelles, and Tanzania, a rod with the kind of muscle a 78XH has is a good thing to have....

We'll see how it goes, thanks for your feedback mate, real world testing and feed back from anglers like yourself really mean alot in helping out someone who doesn't get to fish nearly as often as he'd like!

Mate you are officially sick! I tried Dave's Final Spirit 79H and that is plenty rod, the XH would just be ridiculous.. The ultimo was awesome though, will be getting one asap.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 10:39:39 PM
Sharpie - I've got a spare 79H if you want.... and I know you want!!!  ;D