Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef Guides Report 24 April 2010
April 27, 2010, 07:54:38 AM
Chris report:. Today started off better than the other days with the weather fairly on our side. I worked a few edges on the run out tide but unfortunately never saw a GT. Moved on for the run in and went to chase schools of longtail tuna. Had success with them landing I can't even remember how many and some good sized ones to around the 10kg mark. Played with the shark mackerel, coral trout, bludger and gold spot trevally. Managed to land a solid 25 - 28kg GT on 30lb line which is a great effort. This fish took a sinking stick shad. Today was a very successful day.

Nick Report:- Run out tide most of the day provided us with some time in the first half of the day to get in the blue holes where we saw those giants yesterday. The weather looked pretty promising with the sun showing its beams for the first time in a few days and an easing SEster. With all that on the go we were hoping to hear the chaotic moments of that monster showing himself but he wasn't around to pay us a visit. So we headed out to some outer edge spots where the sounder was full of red spots like a teenie bopper with acne - but again the fish weren't there. A glance over my shoulder revealed a ominous cloud approaching and it looked pretty unforgiving and we got punished for the little bit of sunshine we received in the morning. With this making life hard around the reef we headed off to our fellow trouties who had quite a few GT's around the back of their boat. We managed to hook three but only boated one. The fish soon realised what we were up to so we headed off to find some wild ones, only to find a monster barry and a nice spanard along with a couple of longtail.

Alex report- Today started off nicely with the sun out and not too much wind, the three anglers were very easy to please as they were very happy as long as they had bends in their rods. The morning was spent playing around with some gold spots, sharkys and bludgers. After these went a bit quiet we went for a scout and found flocks of birds buzzing around like honey bees. Under the honey bees we saw big packs of longtails destroying bait and sebile stick shads, we had 3 consecutive triple hook ups and had the guys running around the boat trying not to get there lines tangled, we caught more tuna and other little bait school smashing fish most of the afternoon but the gts proved elusive for most of the day. On the way back to the mothership I managed to sneak into a few good looking blue holes and got one from five including one monster that straightened a kudaku and an sj41 on the stickbait.

Tim report: I started the day off fishing the drains and blue holes within a mile of Odyssey and had an awesome time. Almost every drain that had decent current in it had some Gts lurking and waiting for some helpless baitfish to come their way. We had packs smashing each other out the way but frustratingly not hooking up or dropping the lure after a short run. Dan hooked and lost a big black Gt of about 35kg right next to the boat at one stage and was devastated as it would have been his first ever Gt. Further down the reef Dan did end up getting his fish off some surface bait that he cast to and he was ecstatic when a 28Kg Gt hit the deck - Not bad for his first GT! Bec was casting light gear and was rewarded with Shark Mackerel, Gold Spot Trevally and Long Tail Tuna. She got blown away a few times as well by some large creatures. Of course we had to have a look at the trout boat again and managed to pull 4 Gts off them and got Allan his first decent Gt as well, all of 26Kg. I had a hard time seeing their faces past the huge smiles! Bec got a thumper of 30kg which really wore here down and she was battling at the end but would not give in till she had it in the boat. A bit more prospecting down the reefs edge and Dan's popper got absolutely demolished as soon as it hit the water by a 35kg Gt. When the fish hit the deck, Dan was speechles and amazed at the sheer power of Gts. He is now a true convert and will soon be speaking the Gt language like the rest of us. Overall I had a fantastic day and they guys came home with that grin still plastered on their faces.