Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef Guides Report 25 April 2010
April 27, 2010, 07:59:20 AM
Tim report: Today we moved anchorages and fished in a new area and we had a blast! The trip over was flat and we had great weather apart from a couple of rain squalls, however the wind abated at last to a pleasant 10-15 knots. The plan was to fish our way down to the new anchorage. The first stop was in a blue hole and the very first cast of the day by Andy resulted in the popper getting smashed by a 28kg Gt that was on for a few seconds, pulling drag but then let go only to chase the popper down and frantically wolf it down again for a solid hook up and an awesome fight around the bommies. I went further into the blue hole into some structure that really looked good and a double hook up with Andy and Mouse resulted with one being dropped and the other landed. Spencer was next with a dropped fish and then on his next cast he hooked into a Gt around 30kg. While I was manoeuvring the boat to avoid being cut off on the reef, Andy in the meantime had a monster fully airborne trying to smash his lure. The very next instant Spencer got bust of in the reef. Andy's monster was beyond doubt over 60kg and it was a mesmerising sight to see a massive fish like that totally airborne, unfortunately it did not hook up! From there we picked away at the Gts and managed to land 8 for the day. The guys had a ball fishing with the light tackle again and caught heaps of Gold Spot and Shark Mackerel.
2 Spaniards were lost in the 30Kg range as well. All in all the day was very memorable. I know exactly which blue hole that monster was in and i have a future date pending with it!

Nick report: Fine weather today made for a good crossing south, stopped at the first hole and there were fish everywhere, no hook up? Later on managed to get some blugers, gold spot and mac tuna. Otherwise GT's hid from us for the rest of the day. Keep hunting tomorrow.

Chris report: today was the first day in many days that I actually saw the sun. We started our day off by heading south to the next anchorage to hopefully find some better fishing grounds. Stopped at the first reef 'Molar' to fish the blue holes, had some really good shows of GTs just working the blue hole. Managed to pull one out around the 25 - 28kg mark. Dropped another good fish and saw another 4 that just had no interest in the poppers and stick baits. Moved on from the blue holes and worked an edge of reef that jutted out that was collecting some nice eddies. Managed to pull 3 nice sized GTs out around the 25 - 30kg mark. I pretty much just kept working my way down to the new anchorage fishing reef edges and shoals that jutted out of the reef. Pulled another out around the 35 - 40 kg mark it was an absolute horse. And it was quite a sight to see this fish absolutely engulf this popper. From there I moved to where the mothership was anchored and decided to end the day by fishing the bommies around the mothership. Managed to pull another one off the reef around the 25kg mark. Caught plenty of gold spot travalley, they were like sand..... hopefully another good day tomorrow, see what the fishing brings..