Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT's and Trout at the Montebello Islands
April 27, 2010, 08:33:59 PM
It has been a while since our last visit to the motebello islands so with the long weekend upon us, Tim and i were on our way.  Unlucky for us we only had two days this time but who is complaining.  We set off late friday night with the weather gods smiling upon us.  A 4 1/2 drive down to fortescue river followed by an absolutly sensational night transit accross the dark ocean guided by the gas pods on route to the montebello islands.  We set the anchor at around 0130 to grab a couple of hours sleep before the morning popping session.  We awoke to a beautiful bright red sky and fair seas, we rigged up, topped up the fuel and set off to the popping grounds.

Red in the morning

Words can not describe

Well after a late night and a gentlemans start to the day we were where the GT's liked to hang out.  I asked Tim if he would like the first cast, as soon as he said no i didnt give him half a chance to change his mind.  I bombed a cast toward the said bommy and on the 4th bloop on the first cast of the trip an explosion of water errupted behind my popper and I was on.  Surprisingly what followed was a pretty easy fight, before too long i was surprised to see a nice GT of around 30kg's surface.  Not a bad start to the trip.

hooked up on the first cast of the trip

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeteeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Right, Tim's turn.  Last time he visited me he caught a number of GT's but notthing over 20kg's.  He got bricked more times than a labourer and the start of this trip was to be nothing different.  His first cast resulted in another hook up and yet another lost lure.  This happened again soon after.  I was getting frustrated with the situation, i really wanted him to land a decent fish.  We moved spots after about 5 strikes and 2 lost lures for instant success.  This time tim stayed connected and managed to subdue a his first pilbara beast, 25kg's of Pilbara GT finally made it to his arms

hooked up

A very happy GT camper

Righto we then settled in to a pretty good sesion landing another three fish taking us to 5 for the morning session with as many if not more dropped in the couple of hours.  the fish we caught were 30kg's, 2 specimens at 25kg's 20kg's and a petite 15kg's.  Not a bad morning.

Another cracker from Tim

Well we decided to go for a quick jig in the arvo.  I had not ever been out wide of the montes so much of the time we spent looking for any sort of structure in the 40 meter zone.  WE found a lump approx 10 miles from where we were and opted for some pe5 fun.  We found a ledge that dropped from about 25m to 40m.  As usual in the pilbara the bloody thing was teeming with spanyds resulting in quite a few lost jigs.  We did manage a ffew nice trout and so did the sharks that were obviouly lurking bellow.

yummo!

Anyway before the afternoon disapeared completely Tim and i went for a bit of a recon in amongst the islands around an area we had not been to before.  We were looking for some of those monster jacks the montes are renound for and the only real species to evade us in the last two trips.  WE did find some ground and it was covered in good size bar cheek trout over 70cm. I found one ledge while diving that had a 30 plus kg GT on it as well as a 90 odd cm trout and a few of those huge jacks we were looking for.  I went back to the boat to get my spear gun but by the time i rreturned the bigger jacks were gone, I settled for a couple over 50cm and a couple of trout.  Not a bad way to round out the afternoon.

by the way we named the spot undies, for an undisclosed reason

Well that night keeping with the montes tradition Tim and I share we feasted on coral trout Sashimi.  Bloody beautiful!  After a good nights sleep in the swags on the beach we woke to yet another beautiful day.  Tim sugested we have another pop first thing followed by some plastics in amongst the islands and lure casting on the flats.  We made our way out to the popping ground this time it was tim up first.  It didnt dissapoint with another first cast hook up.  We took turns popping that morning, apolagise for the lack of photos we decided to film instead.  We landed 4 fish in ten casts ranging from 15 to 25 ish Kg's  we litoraly left them biting, not a bad start to the moring.

Preparing the feast

Yummo, we ended up eating this for diner both nights

trying to get some sleep

Tim pondering the day ahead

Only photo we took on the second moring

Well after another successfull GT session we headed in for ome breaky.  After that we headed in a different direction looking for some structure to throw some placky's around.  We had reasonable succes in our last trip in one spot so we decided it was time for a revisit.  First casts from both tim and i resulted in a double hook up.  Tim was burned pretty hard on the pe2 gear resulting in a bust off.  I on the other hand landed a nice little trout.  We threw plastics and hard bodies around here for an hour or so with some prett good success, we landed a few nice trout and spangos, we also got bricked about 5 or 6 times by some onstopable jacks.  I know they were jacks because i jumped in with the mask and snorkle to inspect, i saw jacks to an estimated 8kg's lurking in on the drop off, no wonder we didnt stand a chance on the light stuff, ahh well next time!

trout on an SP

Spango on a stickbait

Trout on a trembler

Well after that we went for a bit of a flats fish to round out the day.  Tim had a bit of a cracker session on the pe 3 landing both a chinaman on a sticky bait and an estimated 15kg GT on a red snapback.  It was pretty entertaining, i jumped in with the water camera for a few shots of the chinaminza, the water was a bit green but some turned out ok i guess.  I speared one last fish to bring home, a nice bluebone.

Tim hooked up on the chinaman, pe 3

almost there

About to net him

Walah!

GT time

Not bad on pe3 gear

one last fish for the esky

Well thats about it.  Once again had a great trip, highlight for me is definatly the 30kg GT on the first cast of the trip, tims well probably given the circumstances probably his first brute of a GT, it took him three trips and about 5 of my poppers to land it, hahha.  We had glorious weather for the transit home, made a great end to the trip that bit better

Cheers

Brad

Jon Jarvis

Re: GT's and Trout at the Montebello Islands
April 27, 2010, 09:00:50 PM
Must be really satisfying getting out there doing it for yourself Brad. Im sure charters to exotic locations might be a great way to get put onto fish but doing the hard yards in your own rig and working the place out for yourself is really taking it to the next level.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 09:48:51 PM
Pretty much doesn't get better than that as far as i'm concerned, perfect trip.  Nice work Brad.

Is there no mozzies over that way - notice you have no mozzie nets on the swags. 

Also what sort of economy do you get out of the etec on a trip like this (motoring/repositioning etc all included)?  What sort of distances covered?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 09:58:34 PM
Is there no mozzies over that way - notice you have no mozzie nets on the swags. 

Never had a problem on the beaches out at the islands Trav, sandflies are a real problem down the creeks though.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 10:02:26 PM
You don't know how hard it is to look at these pics guys, looks like you had a really good trip. I can't even remember the last time I caught a decent GT.

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 10:16:03 PM
Pretty much doesn't get better than that as far as i'm concerned, perfect trip.  Nice work Brad.

Also what sort of economy do you get out of the etec on a trip like this (motoring/repositioning etc all included)?  What sort of distances covered?

no mozzies out that far trav

umm economy wise i was about 50miles off shore mate,  some of the spots out that way are as far as 70.   I think round trip i was around the 200 mile mark.  With the 115HO I average about a mile a litre if i sit on around 4200 revs mate which gives me about 22-23 knots

she is pretty good
Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:18:52 PM by Brad.Bell

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 10:21:17 PM
You don't know how hard it is to look at these pics guys, looks like you had a really good trip. I can't even remember the last time I caught a decent GT.

hang in ther elittle bro, hey i think if i took you out ther we could have a serious crack at breaking your bugatti record between two of us

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 10:35:51 PM

hang in ther elittle bro, hey i think if i took you out ther we could have a serious crack at breaking your bugatti record between two of us

Quite possible, that little morning session with 5 fish to 30kg in a couple of hours is just as good as anywhere.... and then to back it up the following morning with 4 fish in 10 casts is unreal. And not even very impressive tides either. I really don't think I would have been able to leave them biting  ;D

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 28, 2010, 07:21:22 AM
Very nice report and pics Brad, you certainly have some stunning country up your way.....very jealous mate ;)

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 09:44:25 AM
Stunning pics and wonderful report there Brad, thanks for sharing. You've got some sensational all-round fishing over there by the looks!

What lures were your favourites?

Cheers
Angus

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 09:52:26 AM
Stunning pics and wonderful report there Brad, thanks for sharing. You've got some sensational all-round fishing over there by the looks!

What lures were your favourites?

Cheers
Angus

Thanks mate

The 140 bigfoot worked really well

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 10:35:46 AM
Looks fantastic boys,

Great fish and great variety. 8)

Pete

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 12:53:30 PM
Great report. I was wondering about that PE3 outfit...is that a Nitro Viper? And what size Shimano reel is on it?
Best wishes
Ian

Jon Jarvis

April 28, 2010, 02:36:45 PM
Looks like a Viper with Twinpower 5000 to me. ;)

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 02:42:27 PM
Fantastic report Brad... very inspiring stuff!
I would love to be able to do a DIY trip.
<*///><