David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
spinning reel speed ratio, what is best?
June 17, 2007, 06:49:45 PM
Hi all,
Just thought I'd say hi as I'm new this forum and a bit of a newbie to this sport.  Look forward to the learning curve ahead!!
I'm preparing for a GT trip to Fiji at the end of the year and am keen to use an 8000 size reel, preferably a Stella.  Now I dont have the catalogue in front of me but the locally sourced FA model is 5.0-1 ratio.  Is this a bit slow, and should be avoided?  I know the Japan market offers the HG and PG options also, but would like to buy locally for service and warranty etc. 

Thanks for your feedback,

Dave.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

To summarise - yes, the 8000FA with that ratio is fine - in fact, it is one of the most popular reels for lighter/medium popping applications (well suited to Fiji).

Some anglers will tend to lean towards a slower ratio (4:1) or a faster ratio (6:1).

Many popper fisherman like myself have at least two outfits setup at any one time - one slow and one fast. Slow is considered ideal for large poppers/chuggers/bloopers and the fast is considered ideal for pencil/skipping poppers. I personally can use both with ease for either applications.

You may have to experiment with both to see what you prefer - there is no hard and fast rule.

Good luck with the 8000 - it's a beauty of a reel.

Cheers,
Luke

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi David,

Was that information helpful?

Have you made a decision?

Cheers,
Luke

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Luke, Yes thanks for your help.  I will be looking at securing a Twin Power 8000 HG in the near future.  Still yet to book the holiday, but it will basically be based around throwing poppers around 
remote Fiji islands for a week solid over summer.
As soon as I book the holiday, expect to get a lot more questions coming your way!

Cheers Dave.