Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking for some new tackle
July 03, 2010, 09:43:27 PM
Hi all.
I'm in the hunt for a bit of new gear, some to upgarde old gear and others just to add to the pile!!

The missus has a Shimano Stradic 5000 FI and it's a great little reel but I've found is not really handling the salty conditions. I'd like to get something a little better on a budget. The Stella 5000 and Saltiga game 3500 are out due to price but the rest are fair game. I was keen on the Catalina but the 4500 is too big and heavy (around 580 g vs the Stradic of 395 g). The Saragosa 5000 is also a bit heavy and surprisingly only has a felt drag in this size.
How are the sustains for saltwater resistance? I've seen the twinpower 5000 FC and it's a little beauty, currently in the lead but would like to know what peoples experiences are with this range of the Twinpower models? Should I go the SW version instead for that corrosion resistance factor? Anyway keen to hear peoples thoughts across the range of spin reels less than say 450 grams. Line size will be 30lb braid and main use is general boat fishing plus some Tuna fishing for Tuna up to say 10 kg.

I'm also looking to get 2 baitcasters. Again saltwater resistance and longevity is desired. The three so far I'm looking at are the Shimano Curado 200 E7, Daiwa Saltist HRF and the Abu Revo range.

Anyone with any thoughts on these?

Thanks, Mark.

Jamie Moir

Re: Looking for some new tackle
July 03, 2010, 11:02:59 PM
How about something like the Daiwa Seagate Light 3500H? Its a JDM-only and supposed to have better gears than the older Catalina. Perhaps look for it online, or ebay.

The Abu Revo Series look a lot better than the curado, never met the hrf. You have to spend top dollar with shimano to get synchronised levelwind.
Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:03:36 PM by Jamie Moir

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
July 05, 2010, 11:04:39 AM
Mark I've owned and abused a few reels in the size you mention including Catalina 4500, Saltiga 4500 and 3500 game, Certate 3500 HD and 3000 and Twinpower SW 5000, 6000.

I used to swear by the Certate 3500 HD - but finally managed to wear out the gears.  The 3500 Game is a cracker and well worth the expense - but the retrieve rate is only 4.8 : 1.  This is OK for plastics, bait and slow jigs, but not really fast enough for metals, skipping poppers and fast jigs.

I now swap between the 3500 game and the Twinpower SW 5000. depending on the fishing situation.  The twinpower covers the high speed work (light popping, metals and high speed jigs) and I cant speak highly enough of it!  The 3500 game is my preference if I don't need the speed.

I think the TP SW series is much better than the F series if you can spot the coin!  Another great reel is the Certate Hyper in 3500 or 4000, it is of the slower retrieve ratio, like the Game, but the spare spools are considerably less expensive than the TP or the game - if you want to carry a spare or two and the 3500 and 4000 are interchangeable.  See where the pricing advantage is from your preferred supplier.

Hope this helps......

Jamie Moir

July 05, 2010, 02:15:46 PM
FWIW,  I used a Bradia on my last trip to Exmouth, its the same shell and gearing as the Certate, just missing the titanium nitride spool lip, a bearing under the spool, and one in the handle IIRC. It was way too slow for metals and popping as you say, but fine for plastics etc. Certainly thats why I recommended the seagate light, I may try one of them next.

No experience with the shimano camp!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 05, 2010, 06:00:40 PM
I hear the Seagate is a tough little mother.

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 05, 2010, 07:09:26 PM
Interesting comments guys, keep em coming. I do want speed as the reel will be used for tossing light metal slugs for tuna and some popper work but very little SP work so a high gear ratio is wanted.
The seagate 3500H does look pretty good.
What about a sustain?
Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:52:57 PM by Mark Gwynne

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 06, 2010, 08:52:12 PM
I've found a Stella 4000 FD for the same price as a twinpower 5000 SW. Any thoughts on this? The FD is not in the saltwater category but would it still be ok?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 06, 2010, 09:20:02 PM
In my opinion, 4000's will handle 30lb with ease, however, regular 30lb use will see a 5000 last a lot longer in the durability department.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 06, 2010, 09:22:43 PM
I currently use a 5000SW and TCurve Saltwater Spin 702 with 20 - 30lb braid.

This is an awesome soft plastic, popping and light jigging combo which has subdued GTs 35 - 40kg without missing a beat. Sure, they aren't designed for encounters with that pedigree fish everyday, however, if you want to be fishing light there aren't many other reels besides from a Stella in that same size that I would want to be using!

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 06, 2010, 10:52:19 PM
Thanks Luke. It's starting to look that way!!
I actually have a Stella 5000SW, this reel is for the missus. She's not allowed to have a reel as good as mine (mainly because she always outfishes me!!)

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 20, 2010, 05:46:08 PM
Saltist star drag overheads are damn tough. I use a 30t for jigging and it has caught me countless fish jigging including YFT up to 20kg and many ground species as well as dogtooth and GT up to 35kg. Easy upgrade to Carbontex for a bit more stopping power. Daiwa get it right with these reels.