George Trinkler

Images from recent Golden Eagle Adventures
May 05, 2010, 08:38:46 AM
It has been an interesting few weeks since my last post with brilliant weather and plenty of fish on offer. Most of our charters this time of year have been concentrated around Kadavu Island and in particular Cape Washington which is one of the fishiest places on the planet. Most of our guests this season have been keen to take advantage of the great variety of sportfish on offer and have mixed morning trolling sessions with afternoon popping as we work back toward our anchorage.
So far this season we have not had any hard core pop/jig guys to give the place a serious workout and i am hoping the gig next week may be keen. One thing i have noticed a lot of this season is large schools of yellowfin of all sizes with wahoo mixed in the schools and it is something we would love to throw poppers in but can only offer to the experienced popping guys due to the dangerous nature of 60lb wahoos braining themselves on the transom as they chase poppers.

The Cape Washington GT's have been as consistent as ever!

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looks like this could be a place to visit in the near future. Great photo's you have put up.

Looks like alot of fun.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Brock: if you click the Golden Eagle banner at the top of the site it will take you to their website.

George: great report. How often would you get shots at such yellowfin on the surface? I'm sure this would be of great interest to many members wishing to do a GT popping trip.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Nice work George..Some Big Gts getting caught,nice yellowfin..

The Fin In NC can be hectic when there on the chew..Although it has been a little quiet this season but some odd big fish have been landed...

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Damn, that area does look fishy. :o
Set the ray to GeeT

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Luke: I gather that !!

George Trinkler

Luke most of the sea mount have plenty of yellowfin schools with wahoo and occaisionaly dogtooth mixed in, the schools are often on the surface just in a frenzy as pictured. Its not uncommon to have massive dogtooth take yellowfin of up to 20kg while we are fighting them. The size of the tuna vary from 6 to 80kg with the bigger ones usually around the edges as in this image from last week.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Well I'm sold. I'll post a topic soon on those that wish to join a GT and Yellowfin casting trip on Golden Eagle.

Or, feel free to PM me.