Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hook queries
May 07, 2010, 09:24:10 AM
Howsit guys its Glanville here i have just got back from the last Bugatti reef charter which was pretty Awesome the amount of giant Gts we saw this trip has been the best by far, anyways i'm replying to a querie from Brock about Shout Kudaku nand Jobus Straightening,  we did straighten quite a few Shouts this trip and only the one Jobu.

We are fishing all of our poppers with a single assist on the head and a single tail hook, it is definitely the way forward when the Gts are feeding properly the hook up rate is un believably better, the reason the hooks are opening up is because whilst fighting the Gt that has been hooked on the assist off the head the point of the dragging tail hook of the popper jags the fish in the side of the body and as only the tip of the hook penetrates it puts alot of leverage on the gape of the hook and as the gt shakes its head or just swims the arc and immense strength of the fish straightens up the hook. This will straighten up any hook and there is not any hook that we have fished with on charter that we havn't opened at some stage. The hook i probably trust the most is a 9/0 Jobu they are super strong, we have wired 40kg Gts of the duckboards on the mothereship with 600lb leader and heavy tackle Marlin gloves practicing for the Cairns heavy tackle marlin season and not opened any doing that and within my guiding experience have only ever seen 3 open up and all the times it was influenced by the dragging tail hook.
I have become that confident with the single assist off the head for Gt fishing that when i personally fish for Gts i will use just a single 9/0 Jobu assist off the head and thats it, once that fish is hooked up, its hooked properly in the scissor of the mouth and its not going any where but coming to the boat for a picture.
The last week of charter we had the Japanese guys fishing with us including Mr Mogi and Mr Konishi they were fishing with trebles and it just reassured my theory of the reason the hooks were straightening up, i had Mr Konishi fishing with me and he opened up 3 owner ST-76 5/0 trebles in 1 day and one of them was on a PE5 outfit and that particular fish was only 25kg and there is no possible way that any man can physically exert enough pressure with PE5 to open a ST-76 5/0 treble but you are way more likely to jag the fish in the side with the trailing hook during the fight as there are 3 points on a treble which increase the chances 3 times. Besides losing fish to straightened hooks the bigger problem in the scenario is damaging the fish, every fish you catch on a treble gets jagged by the trailing hook and the scars it makes on their bodies is terrible, it really got to me by the end of the trip and due to this reason i had a GT of 32 kg die as the trailing treble jagged the fish in the gills, that is only the second GT that i have ever seen die on my boat in my entire fishing carrer and its a terrible feeling. 

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Hook queries
May 07, 2010, 02:20:44 PM
Hi Glanville, good to hear from you buddy, interesting reading. Did you manage to convince the Japanese guys to start using singles?

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
May 07, 2010, 04:09:31 PM
Glanville, love the daily reports mate, just make sure you save some of those honey holes for me in a few weeks time eh! ;)
You mentioned the use of singles on poppers, do you rig stickbaits in the same way? if so does it affect the way they swim?

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2010, 11:34:11 AM
I second that the daily reports have been great.

That is an interesting read about the hooks, I have only had the chance to use the set up you talk about once due to an unfortunate lack of popper trips, but it definately did work well.

Do you think the size of the popper makes a difference? For example, on a Hammerhead G-Cup or I-Cup or similar sized lure (which I like using, because I am a glutton for punishment) I have been using big barbless trebles. I haven't had any real problems with hook ups or fish retention due to hook failure or hooks pulling (this is only over about 8 days fishing though). When I say no 'real problems' I have missed a few strikes and pulled the hooks on 2 fish that I can remember, but that is 2 out of 20 odd over that time frame. Those numbers seem to compare fairly favourably with single hooks from what I have seen.

On the other hand, with smaller poppers in the 130-150gm range, when I have used smaller 5/0 or 6/0 trebles, I have found hook up is ok but retention is noticeably lower than with singles.

This is only based on limited experience but even then I have noticed it. Would be interested in what people think, for eg, whether this is likely to be a product of the smaller gape on the smaller trebles. Also, whether people think with those bigger popers a single off the tail and an assist off the head would be viable (presumably with a longer assist cord and bigger hook?)

Certainly looking forward to getting more practice with your rigging technique at the end of August at Bugatti Glanville. We're gonna get him bro!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2010, 01:17:07 PM
arrghh The old hook selection is a topic that does your head in I reckon.

Thats why I choose the best of both worlds....treble on the belly and single on the tail.

I have been pretty happy with this set up and havent missed to many fish.....Yet....

Elusive coming up shortly so we will see how we go with singles,bakers

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2010, 05:47:20 PM
Yeah! right! with all those lovelly new barbless trebles you've got  ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2010, 12:30:11 AM
Great stuff Glanny. That is exactly the sort of post that makes this forum so valuable to us here. The daily reports from you all out there are also great. Good to see Chris getting in there too.
Looking forward to getting some results out there with you on Elusive.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2010, 10:21:49 AM
Yeah! right! with all those lovelly new barbless trebles you've got  ;)

I knew you would like them.... ;).....

more here for you if you like...... ;D ;D

Pete