Brodie Cumins

Stick baiting
May 22, 2010, 03:09:21 PM
I'm a realative novice to popping in general but am keen to get into casting some stick baits. My questions are.

-whats a good quality stick bait rod?
-is a high speed retrieval reel helpfull in stick baiting?
-whats the general technique used to get the most out of the lures?
-whats a good stick bait lure for a beginner?

Thanks for your help.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stick baiting
May 22, 2010, 03:55:35 PM
Depending on how much you want to spend, those River to Sea Rover stickbaits work well at the cheap end, then there's Heru Ulua's and Wahoos, both work well but I prefer the Ulua.  Next bracket would probably be things like Craftbait and if you really want to impress your friends try and hunt down some Carpenters.   

Just remember that with the dearer lures you could have $100+ hanging off your rod plus some of those lures are hard to find and replace.  Lose a couple of those and you'll be sucking a lemon. 

I took a neighbor out once and he brought his Spinfisher setup which was a bit light.  He didn't have any lures so I told him to use mine.  When I looked around to see him tying on a fairly rare Carpenter stickbait I hurriedly suggested he use something else, in this case a Blackjack Ulua.  Which he subsequently lost to a fish on the first cast. 

When I told him the Ulua was around $50 worth he nearly fainted.  Lucky he didn't have to replace the Carpenter!

Where rods are concerned I'm not fussy.  As long as it can cast the lure I'm using  and has decent guides I'm happy. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brodie Cumins

May 22, 2010, 05:30:14 PM
Yeah I know the feeling of loosing gear. My first popping experience in Fiji cost me 5 poppers. Lucky they were only Halco Haymakers. Strangely enough the more expensive ones didnt get any action.

I did try to use a stick bait while I was over there but didnt have any luck. I think it is an Ullua? It was a sinking version? Wasnt really sure on what type of action/retrive I should have been trying to impart but I was trying to treat it as a bream lure with alot of twitches and pauses. The popping rod I have is a 8'6" calstar heavy Pe8 (picked it up second hand) may not be the best rod to use. It is a bit of a broom stick.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May 26, 2010, 10:33:26 AM
Brodie, you might want to read Luke's article on the subject as well, if you haven't already done so.....

http://www.gtpopping.com/stickbaitarticle.php