Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef trip report 24 May 2010
May 25, 2010, 07:45:08 AM
Glanville Report:- Today was an awesome day and quite a novelty to have a glassy calm ocean, never thought I would see that day again...the fishing today was just as good as the weather, we got into the Gts from the word go and the second blue hole we stopped at produced a really good fish which managed to tie a bimini twist around a bommie before I could even think, so that was all over in a flash and a blur, we were then greeted by shoals of bait on arrival at our following spot and it didn't take long before we had Gts busting up all over the joint, double bending, we fished between the bait again after boating the 2 fish and they seemed to be very spooked. We then had some great action on the lighter gear with some decent size gold spots and a short period of bludger mania...the 3 boats that stayed out for the day all ended up anchoring up in this glassy clam little bay surrounded by reef at the low tide and the guys felt it irresistible to get in for a snorkel, the afternoon treated us kindly and we managed to boat another 4 Gts and some good size mackerel, we had some pretty awesome takes from quality specimen mackerel as they got fully air bourne like sky rockets with a lure wedged tight between their scissors, it definitely gets the blood flowing especially when they nearly end up in the boat.

Nick Report:- We have waited for a day like today for some time now, no wind and glass of seas. So with much anticipation we headed of to go and slay the fish. As we left the mother ship there were birds signalling to us that something was going down. As we got closer we saw the longtail smashing on the surface all over the joint, and not a minute later all hell broke loose with rods bending in all directions. We boated only one of the three fish which was a nice 8kg fellow. Our plan for midday was to end up quite a distance from where we were so we left those tuna in a bid to find more on the way. As we approached our planned destination there were a few longtail around but we were distracted with all the fusiliers that were getting harassed all along the reef in front of us, so we geared up for GTs and started working along the edge, we managed to hook a nice fish and after 5mins he somehow managed to spit the hooks and again later the same thing. We decided that GTs weren't really playing the game so we turned to the lighter gear and started cleaning up the mackerel for most of the morning. After a nice lunch anchored up with Damon and Glanny, we headed off for the arvo hunting session, we found some nice ledges teaming with bait where we managed to get three nice Gold spot Travelly around 6 kilos and a Spanish around 8 kilos. We then started making our way home stopping at some shoals along the way with almost every cast yielding a mackerel, next came the long tail mania again long tail after longtail. What a way to end the day!

Chris:- Today was an absolute blast. I woke up this morning looked out the window to see sunny, flat calm conditions. The weather you could say couldn't be any better. I focused on working the edges of the reef. Found plenty of bait, but these fish had lock jaw. At one stage we had at least 5 GTs swimming around the boat but just weren't interested in the lure at all. We ended up hooking a few GTs in very shallow water but you know how that ended up. We moved on through the day catching plenty of longtail tuna, barracuda, bludger and goldspot travalley and the odd shark mackerel here and there. As the sun began to lower on the horizon I moved onto the edge of the reef, I have never seen so much bait in my life, and it was balled up so something under there was making it a little nervous. I worked the edges and bait pretty hard doing a few drifts on the same spot and hooking the odd GT here and there but just no luck being able to boat one. As 4 o'clock now became 5 o'clock I moved into the blue holes where it looked spectacular. We ended up seeing 4 in the space of 10 minutes and boat one to 25kg, we saw an absolute horse as well had to be at least 35kg plus the head on it was ridiculous but this fish missed the lure about 4 times which was a little frustrating. It was now getting dark so I decided to move on to the last blue hole before the mothership. On the last cast of the day another absolute horse came and head butted the lure but still "no love". On that note I decided to call it a day. At this stage we had seen at least 12 GTs for the day and had a mixed bag of species. All in all it was a ripper day.
Im looking forward to tomorrow as I think it will be a very nice day on the water....

DAMON:- Great day, simply superb weather, great fishing and very entertaining company. Dominic is the noisiest fisherman I have ever encountered. If you have ever watched any Nomad videos and thought that myself or Glanville get excited, well... we've got nothing on Dom. It's like a .....actually, like nothing I can describe, he gets that excited when he's hooked into a GT that there are no words.
Anyway, we started the day with a bunch of big longtail tuna, and then found another area with heaps of longtails, rainbow runners, shark mackerel and bludger trevally, which were awesome fun on the light tackle. Dom landed a 25lb shark mackerel, which must be some kind of world record. I did not know they grew that big!!  We had lunch in a beautiful lagoon which was galss calm and had amazing coral. All the guys went for a swim and a snorkel before we headed out to land a few GTs. We caught a few nice GTs to 28kg and some Spanish mackerel. We finished the day with a bit of reef jigging for sweetlip and coral trout, which were well received at dinner. A spectacular day on the water with plenty of light tackle action and some great GT action when we fished for them. Best lure was again the 114 stick shadd and the hellhound stickbait.