Cam Munro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advise sought on rod purchase
June 01, 2010, 04:29:19 PM
Hi Guys- I'm looking for some advice on the next rod purchase, having read Brandon's terrific article I'm still undecided...
I've a collection of daiwa gear and and expedition jigging combo so will most likely grab a dogfight or 6500 Maverick.

RE rods, primary purpose is a mix of med-large poppers and stickbaits. Primary target is GT's but would like something I can throw to SB Tuna everynow and then. I guess budget is around the 1K mark for the rod. Easy option would be the Saltiga GT ( dont like the short but on the new saltiga extreme model ), lenght around the 7'6-7'8 mark and PE 8 will be line class.

Appreciate any advice guys!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Advise sought on rod purchase
June 01, 2010, 04:32:36 PM
For stickbait cum popper works , Carpenter CV79/40RF SHP , will be available soon .  ;)

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 01, 2010, 05:19:26 PM
Cam, Thumbs Up for the Viper, a very fishable rod. For the tuna you can cast down to 100gm in a pinch.
Set the ray to GeeT

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 02, 2010, 12:28:20 AM
Cam ,I give you a shot at my popping rod on the next trip lol its just what your looking for Jigging Master Monster 78  Easy on you hard on the fish .... cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2010, 06:35:28 AM
Depending on Cam's definition of a med-large popper, anything much over 150g will over-saturate a CV79 RF40.

Cam, if you're looking at around 150g as the maximum sized popper, the CV79 is a great stick (but make sure you get the RF40). I would probably draw the line at about 140g for a popper with this rod. Other options:

You could also look at a Ripple Fisher Ultimo UG79H particularly taking the southern bluefin into account. Another would be the Ripple 82LC. Another nice rod that would be suitable for what you are looking for is the Temple Reef Black Devil 200. This rod will have more guts in the lower section that the CV and price-wise, is excellent value for money.

As Tony has written, the JM 78 isn't a bad stick either. It's rated up to PE10 but realistically, would max out at PE8. It just won't be as suitable for the lighter type of stickbaits you may want to throw at tuna.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Munro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 02, 2010, 09:54:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys - I'd say max popper weight would be 200g with 150g probably the average...going with the Elephants eat peanuts!

I'll investigate these options. Thanks Guys

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2010, 10:43:08 AM
You're looking at a PE8-12 popping rod for those lure weights, unless you are throwing large metals or the SB Tuna are feeding on large baits it may be a difficult compromise, though I base this on YFT experience so I may be off the mark with the last comment.
Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:51:47 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2010, 12:27:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys - I'd say max popper weight would be 200g with 150g probably the average...going with the Elephants eat peanuts!

I'll investigate these options. Thanks Guys

In this case , Carpenter MH80H but the wait is going to be longer , due to be released next year .  ;)

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .