Alex Basford

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FG Knot with fluoro
June 08, 2010, 07:29:48 PM
Figured this'd be the best place to ask this question:

I run a FG Knot when jigging, usually with braid to varying strengths of mono. I now want to use fluoro and am wondering whether the FG Knot would still be as strong? My only concern is that because fluoro is 'harder' than mono it would be more difficult for the braid to dig/bite in on the leader? It is a friction knot any way.

Any previous experiences and advice would be much appreciated.

Alex

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: FG Knot with fluoro
June 08, 2010, 07:52:52 PM
I run 30-50lb fluro FG'd with 30lb braid for all my murray cod fishing. I've also used up to 80lb fluro with PE4-8 and haven't really found any real issues apart from fluro getting a bit expensive when you keep getting bit of by those bloody toothy critters!
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2010, 08:52:03 AM
I don't have any doubt that Sunny has used this with success on murray cod. The only question I would raise (and Sunny, you might have a look a couple of the rigs you have used as I am interested too) is whether the FG you are tying on the fluorocarbon is effectively biting into the leader. If not, you may find that the knot is actually largely reliant on the burnt knob at the end. This is akin to placing a brick under the front tyre of a car facing downhill. It will be fine but if you start pushing behind it, at a certain amount of force, the car will go over the brick. Obviously, if you had Mini-Me pushing it, nothing would happen but if you had Andre the Giant, it might be a different story. I supopse we could draw the same analogy between Mini-Me and Andre the Giant as between a small coral trout and a big GT.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 09, 2010, 09:14:21 AM
My sentiments are the same as Brandon. Although, I don't doubt the knot worked to an extent with fluoro, it's only a matter of time before the knot slips on the hard shell and over the burnt knob. Mind you...I don't think I could ever put it as well as Brandon did with his analogy!

Perhaps, consider FG in standard, supple nylon and consider nail/uni/crimping a fluoro segment.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 09, 2010, 09:21:59 AM
The only times I've used heavy fluro as a leader is when live baiting for sailfish. I haven't really paid much attention to the finish of the knot, rather how the braid bites into the fluro. I can say that I've caught 5 sails on the one rig before retying due to abrasion from the fish's bill. That was running PE6 and around 8-10kg of drag. Now, casting wise where the lure is constantly loading the knot, it could be a different scenerio, but I'm happy to sticking with it for that purpose.
AKA: Sunny