Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Favourite jig
March 15, 2007, 05:29:21 PM
Favourite jigs! All right, I admit it. I am a sucker for really nice looking jigs and there is no doubt that the lures may be more sucessful at catching me than at catching fish. That said, I was wondering whether people have favourite jigs like me! I am a real fan of the Smith Nagamasa in bright colours as I prefer sliders. I also like the Fisherman Crazy Long even if I do think the craziest thing about them is the price.

The Smiths are readily available in OZ whereas the Fisherman are not.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Favourite jig
March 15, 2007, 10:17:40 PM
 As you say, favourite jigs to collect or favourite jigs to fish with, a subject close to my heart as a tackleholic and lureaddict, but for now I musstt goo toooo slleeepp z z z z z z z z .
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 16, 2007, 09:15:23 PM
Favourite jigs! All right, I admit it. I am a sucker for really nice looking jigs and there is no doubt that the lures may be more sucessful at catching me than at catching fish. That said, I was wondering whether people have favourite jigs like me! I am a real fan of the Smith Nagamasa in bright colours as I prefer sliders. I also like the Fisherman Crazy Long even if I do think the craziest thing about them is the price.

The Smiths are readily available in OZ whereas the Fisherman are not.

I think most Smith jigs are great...they can really produce fish when the going gets tough.

I also really like Seven Seas Hooker jig...have you used those Brandon?

Started using Jig Ace jigs lately....nice action and easy to work but the lumo finish on some starts to degenerate very quickly. Something that i am lead to understand is currently being sent as feedback to the manufacturer from many jiggers.
Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:24:22 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Neil

March 17, 2007, 10:19:21 AM

One thing to remember about different shaped jigs is that they don't swim with the same action.
On any given day or at different spots one jig in your bag may be the one the fish want!!

Adjusting your jigging styles to different jigs will also get better results. Can't emphasize enough that what we do is NOT high speed jigging, despite what appears in most uninformed articles in the local fishing media. The best jiggers I know jig with a variety of actions that are mostly slow and deliberate, getting the best from there jig.

You wouldn't expect a dump bin cheapie plastic lure to be as good as a quality jap lure like Yo Zuri or Megabass so don't expect rave results from all the dump bin jigs out there.

Neil

splash

March 17, 2007, 12:52:28 PM
neil is right what we do jigging is like anyother form of lure fishing if the fish arent reacting to the presentaion of the lure then we change the way we present it until they do and if they dont react then we know its the lure and we change the lure to many times i've seen on charters pepole jigging away hard and fast like there beating a drum and wondering why they arent catching a thing if something dosent work change your approach is my best addvice

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 12:18:43 PM
Favourite long jig - Jigging Master Rocket 500g
Favourite centre balanced jig - Jigging Master Ocean God 380g

Yes, I declare a bias but I import what I want to use rather than the other way around, my fishing time is too precious...........

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 03:52:00 PM
NO, Luke, I've never used the hooker jig from Fisherman. In fact, I've never even seen one! My only experience is with the Crazy Long and the Andaman. I don't know why they call it the Crazy Long - it's no longer than any other jig out there. If anything is crazy long, its the 400g Smith Nagamasa. Crazy both in length and the fishermen who use a 400g jig.I reckon it is just plain bloody masochistic using any jig bigger than 300g.

I just reckon these guys who get out there and belt it up at 100mph are insane!! Try doing that for 1/2 hour, let along a whole day. That's why I like sliders which I start to slide very slowly after about 15 minutes......

It's so hard trying to get these jigs and when I do, the price is normally a bit silly. In Singapore where most things tend to be reasonably priced, Crazy Longs are something like $50- a jig. Mind you, that's cheap compared to those Sanmes jigs.

At that price, that's why I tend to stick to Smiths.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 06:23:13 PM
NO, Luke, I've never used the hooker jig from Fisherman. In fact, I've never even seen one! My only experience is with the Crazy Long and the Andaman. I don't know why they call it the Crazy Long - it's no longer than any other jig out there. If anything is crazy long, its the 400g Smith Nagamasa. Crazy both in length and the fishermen who use a 400g jig.I reckon it is just plain bloody masochistic using any jig bigger than 300g.

I just reckon these guys who get out there and belt it up at 100mph are insane!! Try doing that for 1/2 hour, let along a whole day. That's why I like sliders which I start to slide very slowly after about 15 minutes......

It's so hard trying to get these jigs and when I do, the price is normally a bit silly. In Singapore where most things tend to be reasonably priced, Crazy Longs are something like $50- a jig. Mind you, that's cheap compared to those Sanmes jigs.

At that price, that's why I tend to stick to Smiths.

Sorry Brandon, i meant Seven Seas Hooker jig :-[

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 07:01:43 PM
No wonder. I thought there was another Fisherman jig I should start looking for.

Seven Seas jigs are too damn hard to get Luke. Even getting in touch direct with Matsutani doesn't seem to help and he's the bloody owner! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to get hold of some of these other beautiful Japanese jigs but they are so hard to get. 

I also don't fancy carting them back from overseas because they are so heavy and I've found there is no point falling in love with your jigs because they are very short term affairs. Unlike poppers which have a chance fo survival over a reasonable term, you will lose the jig - and quickly. Jigs never last.

MarkR

March 30, 2007, 03:19:37 PM
My current favorite jig is the Skill-L made by Mg-craft...don't see these in the Japanese videos so often unlike hookers and crazy longs but they are pretty effective for a variety of species.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 10:09:51 AM
My current favorite jig is the Skill-L made by Mg-craft...don't see these in the Japanese videos so often unlike hookers and crazy longs but they are pretty effective for a variety of species.

Hi Mark, thanks for all your contributions to the forum lately.

Do you have a picture of this jig? Would be interested to see it.

What jig did you catch your massive Dogtooth on?

Cheers,
Luke

MarkR

March 31, 2007, 01:43:20 PM
Hi Luke,

Here are 2 pics of some Skill-Longs and a regular Skill. 860g, 520g, 380g & 350g. Yes, the doggie was landed on a Skill-L 380g.

cheers

Paul Taylor

June 02, 2007, 08:19:56 PM
Hey guys just joined in recently,
Just getting started and I am heading to 1770 and would be interested in any advice as to a few jigs to try.
Been up there before and mainly bottom bashed both live and deadbaits in 40m plus water targeting cod, topwater for spanish mackeral.
Of a night time get smahed with GT's so thought I would give poppong a go and am interested in recommended poppers to take.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2007, 10:14:58 PM
Paul - if you're fishing in 40m of water or around that kind of depth, my suggestion would be to look at jigging with some of the big Spanyids or Raiders or even the Bumpa Bars instead of the hgh speed jigs we're discussing here. The reason for this is that I find (personally) that i like a bit or depth to work a high speed jig because they come up quick and in 40m, that's not much depth to work a hgh speed jig. It may also be worth getting a couple of sliders like the Smith Nagamasas as you can work these more slowly. Depending on the current, some big plastics may work well too.

Mackeral will hit anything that moves and can be a menace by stealing your jigs. if you find that you get cleanly snipped off, you'll know they are around. A bit of wire will take care of that but the problem is that you may find some other species will be put off by the wire.

For poppers, that depends on the size of the GTs you're after. If you're thinking of using them at night, I'd think that you'd want something that makes a fair bit of commotion. Chuggers would probably be best. I have no experience of fishing poppers for GTs at night myself. Some of our members from WA lke Hon-Su and Che may be able to give you some useful advice.

Paul Taylor

June 03, 2007, 03:10:28 PM
Brandon,
Thanks I will check those out. I have also been making wind on leaders for jigging using 6 metres of 100lb Moimoi, 37kg Dacron, Owner 7.5m (450lb) solid ring crimped with a plastic collar to support the solid ring, I have also placed a small lumonous bead up against the aluminium crimp to A. Protect the guide and B. Spot at night.
Can you see any problems with these?
Thanks Paul