Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Favourite jig
June 03, 2007, 03:23:17 PM
Paul, I can't read any problem into what you're doing but of course, the main area you need to be really careful with is the mono/dacron joint. The other area which can be a problem but you seem to have covered that is with the Owner solid ring. they make them so their edges are almost sharp! It's bloody crazy to me why they do that but you're using a sleeve to protect the mono so that should not be a problem.

I personally can't be bothered to make wind-on leaders for jigging as I am just as happy to use a simple mono leader joined directly to the braid, usually with a albright.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 03, 2007, 04:19:46 PM
Hi Paul i to make my own wind on leaders,are you putting your mono through the doubbled dacron and wraping the dacron twice ,first on the inside piece of dacron and then again on the outside?The little plastic collar is a must when using the owner solid rings theses rings will cut through 150lb with ease without them.Good luck hope you get a few.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 03, 2007, 04:24:45 PM
Where the Owner slim profile solid ring comes in to its own is its ease to slip onto a split ring. JonesTackle have the Ten Mouth #6 440lb and #7 730lb round rings, but using a line guard or thimble will do the job.
 Other jiggers on my boat use wind-on's as they are always at hand from game fishing and have never had a problem, although I'm like Brandon and use an albright. ;D
Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:53:36 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Paul Taylor

June 04, 2007, 08:09:45 PM
Brandon, Thanks

Cam, I have been sliding the leader as far up the double dacron as possible, pulling the external sleeve of dacron so that it pulls over the inner sleev by about an inch and then whipping the external only. Are you suggesting that I should first whipt the inner sleeve prior to pulling the external over and then whipping it. I have tested the leader by fixing the dacron loop and then placing a couple of wraps and pulling my weight agianst it to ensure there is no give prior to whipping. I would appreciate your advice.

Regards Paul

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 04, 2007, 09:10:38 PM
Hi Paul yer i whip the inner first then pull the outer dacron over and whip that aswell but im sure just whipping the outer would be fine as long as the inner is pulled tight.What glue have you got? ive only tried one type its called UV KNOT SENSE seems to be really good, give a real glossy finish although it does need UV to go off and not having a UV light or torch i can only make them on sunny days.                              cheers CAM
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 04, 2007, 10:57:32 PM
A dab of glue will do on the inside.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2007, 05:27:06 AM
yer forshore a wee dab of glue  like superglue a Bun
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

MikeOsborn

June 06, 2007, 09:43:26 AM
Favourite jigs would be:
1)Williamson 300gm benthos lumo although they bend very easily it would be number one jig for me.
2)next would be a similar zest "slider"(i think) in lumo/orange colours also 300gm
3) Kilwell broken arrow 500gm

There is not a huge range here. any websites I could check for other jigs and also poppers? somewhere not too far from nz please as postage cost is horrible for jigs

Paul Taylor

June 06, 2007, 05:28:23 PM
Cam,
Loctite 480 or Zap a Gap, have to be kept in the fridge otherwise it goes off.
Regards Paul

Tony Jreige

June 09, 2007, 10:37:17 PM
hey guys,
i find it a little bit weird that no one mentioned Saltiga Sacrifice Jigs.
My pet jig has to be pink silver in 250g to 300g.
where is the best store in sydney to check out a variety of jigs?
I am a little intimidated on here as i havent been exposed to serious jigging knowledge.
Tony

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 10, 2007, 05:08:08 PM
Yip have a couple of sacrifice jigs a wicked gold one with mean teeth marks all over it ,the bling on them seems to attract alot of kuta over here in NZ,
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Chris Lian

June 30, 2007, 12:52:55 PM
Hi All,

Brendon, there is a YGK product called Zairon. I have used the product on SM and other critters with teeth and it won't effect your jigging for the other spicies. Only problem it will last about 3-4 SM and then you will need to change it.

Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 08:22:33 AM
Chris - you mean zylon?
Do you have to replace it because of wear or what?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Lian

July 04, 2007, 03:31:51 PM
Hi Brendon
Yes I meant Zylon,  you have to replace it due to wear. But at least you won't get bitten off first up.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 04:39:08 PM
From what i have read Zylon has a lot more heat tolerance than normal braid but doesn't last long.Not to mention its very pricey but a lot tougher.Could this Zylon stuff be the future i dont no.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER