Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First Stickbait GT
July 22, 2007, 03:29:08 PM
Hi all.

Attached is a GT caught at the Swains Reef in May 2007.
My first on a stickbait. It was a visual take about 5 metres from the boat, what a rush.
Details, 80gm Nomad, 4/0 ST66 Owners, 100lb Whiplash, 120lb Black Magic doubled leader.
I am now hooked.....

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

lonhro

Re: First Stickbait GT
July 22, 2007, 06:59:13 PM
Hi Ken,

Nice Catch Mate, great way to get the heart racing.

How were the Swains to you guys ??? was out there in May too second week all i can say is it was like fishing in a pool of sharks  >:( >:( >:(

THE BARRON SEA it was described as  :-\

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 22, 2007, 09:30:35 PM
Well done Ken! 8)

Welcome to the forum ;)

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2007, 10:53:59 AM
Thanks gents.

Randy, we were at the Swains, Big Sandy Reef, from 5th till 12th May on the Norval from Gladstone. The start of the week was probably 10/15kts, then the 18hr trip home was near 40kts!! Very uncomfortable, but is our 4th time there so we knew what to expect.
We only fished out of dories as it was too rough to fish deep water out of the Norval.
We caught good fish, spanish, trout and redthroat, most guys used bait, but I mainly fish with lures.
Standouts were Xraps, Riv 2 Sea 150mm Bubble Pops, Nomad 80gm Stickbait and Halco 160mm Laser Pro.
Lots of trout on Laser pros(gold), Stickbaits and Bubble pops(green). Nothing big, approx 5kg was the biggest.

I read your story about the GTs and yes they were hard to tempt on lures but were worth it when they did.

Looking forward to learning from and being part of this forum,

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)