Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging with wire
July 23, 2007, 07:07:25 PM
Where I jig there is an abundance of Spanish mackerel. Although I don't target them specifically they have a habit of hitting jigs and consequently, biting you off. It can turn into an expensive day! Has anyone had much success jigging with wire? Has it affected your catch rate? What kind of wire do you use?

Ivan Verhage

Re: Jigging with wire
July 23, 2007, 07:43:39 PM
Hi guys

I find that jigging with wire will not produce as many fish.
I dont know about relley deep water 100m+ but in shalow water the fish can see the wire.
Have you tried making your assist hooks out of wire and crimping them.
Are you using a heavy twisted leader with a decent bight leader.
If you are still having problens i would try knotable steel trace.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 23, 2007, 07:51:14 PM
Split ring > Swivel > Split ring has worked for me in the past. Haven't experienced too much shyness in my jigging - but i don't do as much jigging as i do popping.

If i were to use longer assists i would definately use crimps.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 23, 2007, 08:05:43 PM
I'd point out from my experience that twisted leaders of just about any poundage don't make much difference to the razor gang. I lost my favourite popper to a wahoo that I could have hit with the tip of the rod and while I saw it grab the lure, I hardly felt any tension on the rod. The fish sliced right through the leader like a hot knife through butter. It was a 120lb twisted leader.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 23, 2007, 08:08:18 PM
I don't use twisted leader for jigging either - i reckon they are too obvious and may inhibit the action of the jig. I prefer to use them in popping where they are above the water.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 23, 2007, 10:09:32 PM
I'd point out from my experience that twisted leaders of just about any poundage don't make much difference to the razor gang. I lost my favourite popper to a wahoo that I could have hit with the tip of the rod and while I saw it grab the lure, I hardly felt any tension on the rod. The fish sliced right through the leader like a hot knife through butter. It was a 120lb twisted leader.

Yeah good point Brandon. A twisted leader isn't going to help much. I might try some of that knotable wire next time. Failing that I might go with lukes suggestion. I'll let you know how its goes.

MikeOsborn

July 24, 2007, 12:14:45 PM
I use a small 20cm length of 80lb black wire above jig crimped with a black swivel. Like brandon said the razor gang go through mono like butter. catch rate is still good with the wire

AustralianAngling

July 25, 2007, 01:38:39 PM
We rig all Jigs as well as  Poppers / Stick Baits on about 20cm of 040 Gal wire (400lb).