Nathan

Which poppers
July 25, 2007, 10:49:12 PM
 I'm heading to the Whitsundays in October and would like to know what poppers/jigs you guy's would recommend i should take with me "no price limits!!!"

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which poppers
July 26, 2007, 07:53:39 AM
it wouldn't be different from anywhere else - take the poppers that have worked for you in other places. The effectiveness of a popper isn't necessarily related to price although it is no surprise that some of the best out there are very pricey.

If you're specifically looking for premium poppers locally, then you can get Craftbaits and Hammerheads from Neil. Just don't faint when you see the prices of these if you're used to paying for poppers like Dumbbells and Surface Bulls!

Take a variety including chuggers, pencil poppers and stickbaits.

For jigs, I'd recommend you look at jigs like Raiders, Spanyids and Bumpa Bars rather than knife jigs unless you're fishing deep water.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

lonhro

July 26, 2007, 10:19:36 AM
WOW Brandon,
when i read this post Last night i was sure you would reply suggesting a Cubera and a Wahoo atleast ????

Cheers Randy

Nathan

July 26, 2007, 11:51:22 AM
 Thanks Brandon that gives me an idea of what to stock up with.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 01:46:48 PM
Randy, Nathan did seem to focus on the top end of the market. I can tell you that while I rate the Cubera highly, it is not a better popper than a Craftbait. The Craftbait GT-3 is, at least in my humble opinion, in the highest echelon of poppers both in construction and fish catching ability. I rate it up there with the legendary Sea Frog.

On the other hand, you can almost buy three Cuberas for the price of one Craftbait. I'm not that sensitive to the cost of lures but I can assure you that I am sensitive enough to know that if every popper I lost was a Craftbait or hammerhead, that would hurt!! if every popper I lost at Shoalwater was one of these, I would have lost the equivalent of half the cost of the trip!

Heru lures like the Cubera and Wahoo are highly effective and while not cheap, are affordable. Craftbait/hammerheads are affordable - for people with deep pockets!

WOW Brandon,
when i read this post Last night i was sure you would reply suggesting a Cubera and a Wahoo atleast ????

Cheers Randy

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 04:36:33 PM
Unless you've got something against cheap lures, I'd suggest don't overlook the Halco Roosta's in any size.  Cheap, tough, reliable, easy to work in any sea conditions and they'll catch anything.  I've lost count of the ones I've lost at the reef - just remember to upgrade the hooks. 

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Nathan

July 26, 2007, 06:02:21 PM
 Brandon does Jones's sell the GT3?

Nathan

July 26, 2007, 06:05:53 PM
 I just found them on the Disc he sent me! DOh :P

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 09:15:55 PM
You'll find Neil has a range of the super premiums in stock, Nathan, which goes beyond just Craftbait. Hammerheads are also excellent although in their larger sizes, hard work for an old guy like me! Just remember that for a dozen of these, you could have a Smith Komodo Dragon!

You'll also either look wistfully at the sea very time a GT swims off with one or swear like hell!!   ;D

SHizz

July 26, 2007, 10:16:00 PM
River2sea dumbells have just had a make over according to the manufacturer, been strengthened around the neck and now come pre-rigged with Owners. IMO one of the best value gt poppers on the market.

aaron

July 27, 2007, 10:22:54 PM
NATHAN IM FROM THE WITSUNDAYS AND AND ALL THE LOCALS USE HERE ARE ROOSTA HAYMAKERS AND THESE GUYS ARE CATCHING MASSIVE GTS ON THESE.WHEN HERE SEE ADRIAN,BOB OR RYAN AT WHITSUNDAY FISHING WORLD AT THE BP SERVO..THEY ALLWAYS LET YOU KNOW WHATS GOEN ON.