Clayton Anderson

Daiwa Dogfight v Stella v Accurate Twinspin
June 20, 2010, 07:58:14 PM
Hi there folks

I am looking for some advice if possible.

I'm looking to buy a new reel and would like to know your experiences and or thoughts on the following - Daiwa Dogfight, Shimano Stella or Accurate Twinspin 30.

I have read and heard mixed reports on all 3. Does it simply come down to preference or are there stark differences?

Appreciate your help,
Clayton

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Clayton,

While i cannot provide any detail on the Accurate Twinspin 30, i can certainly provide my opinion on the Daiwa Dogfight and Shimano Stella (assuming that you are talking about either the 18000SW or 20000SW as a comparable reel).

I looked into this as a while ago as i was tossing up between the two and decided on the Stella 20000SW for two reasons.

• I already had a 10000SW for a lighter stick which has never given me any problems; and
  • I have mates with Saltiga Z6500 Dogfights who have had a lot of warranty issues, which after spending >$1100 on the reel, you don't need that crap.

In saying this i am by no means bias. I honestly believe that the saltiga is a better looking reel and would definitely get one if the warranty support was there from Daiwa.

I am sure that the next person who replies to this will say the opposite, say i do not know what i am going on about and  and quote personal experience that the Diawa is the way to go and while it is great to hear different opinions, it is your decision on which one to purchase and a tough decision at that.

If you are wanting to save a few dollars on the price of the reel you decide on, check out the classifieds on this website, there are always some top bargains.

Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Clayton, the topic of Stella versus Saltiga is a topic that has been done to death on forums everywhere around the world and you will find "experts" in every corner of the globe. You will find many of these people will make comments such as one reel is "much better" than the other. That is ill-informed rubbish and should be treated as such.

I've used both reels long term and the simple reality is that both reels do the job and do the job well. That said, neither reel is perfect nor would you expect them to be. That said, look after your reels and keeping them well-maintained seems to go a long way towards ensuring reliability. I have heard very polarised stories about the servicing department of both companies but my personal experiences have been good. Both Daiwa and Shimano have looked after my reels well.

I have little comment to offer on the Accurate Twinspin. The reels had a lot of problems in the early days but I understand these have largely been rectified. They are, however, not a popular reel here.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Clayton, the topic of Stella versus Saltiga is a topic that has been done to death on forums everywhere around the world and you will find "experts" in every corner of the globe. You will find many of these people will make comments such as one reel is "much better" than the other. That is ill-informed rubbish and should be treated as such.

I've used both reels long term and the simple reality is that both reels do the job and do the job well. That said, neither reel is perfect nor would you expect them to be. That said, look after your reels and keeping them well-maintained seems to go a long way towards ensuring reliability. I have heard very polarised stories about the servicing department of both companies but my personal experiences have been good. Both Daiwa and Shimano have looked after my reels well.

I have little comment to offer on the Accurate Twinspin. The reels had a lot of problems in the early days but I understand these have largely been rectified. They are, however, not a popular reel here.
AMEN

Clayton Anderson

Appreciating the help so far guys, think I'm leaning towards the Dogfight

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Clayton ,

FYI , Daiwa is due to release the new Saltiga spinning reel , may be you want to wait a bit before buying .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
New one? How long has the S extreme been out? Any sneak peeks?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
S extreme series were released for Aus domestic market only, they had a couple of minor upgrades inc drag but otherwise it was mostly cosmetic. I think this new model has upgraded rotor like new Certaite, probably the same floating oil seal thingy too!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
floating oil seal thing?!   ;D

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
floating oil seal thing?!   ;D

Ok ....it's called Mag - Seal technology, magnetic grease used to seal the internals.

That's as tech as I get guys, I'm sure Duncan or someone can expand on my basic explanation

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
What are your requirements Clayton...perhaps that may assist you in choosing a reel?

Andrew Cox

I have had a good run with stella's, have owned saltiga's but just hate them as they are no where near as smooth as a stella, just my two cents worth.

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi all,
Again, my 2 cents worth...
I have had dramas with 2 Diawas recently. A Saltiga 4500 and a Certate 3500hd. Both reels were sent back to Daiwa for service (both running a bit rough)and the Saltiga came back requiring  gears and 4 Bearings ( this reel is 12 months old, probably fished a dozen days, well cared for). the Certate required 5 bearings replaced ( 2 years old, fished about 30 days with only 20lb braid- mainly snapper on plastics). Daiwa did not cover this under their warranty.
My local tackle shop handled this for me, and in fact, sent the Saltiga back after the first attempt to service it.
As a result, I have bought a Stella 10 000 and love it so far. Shimanos warranty seems pretty strong and Im told they have a no fuss policy.
Its a crying shame about the Diawas, because I was a real believer ( 6000gt, Expo, 4500,3500hd)
Im told the new Certates have a design flaw relating to the bail rotor touching the spool under heavy drag settings.
As Brandon has said, Im sure there are just as many people that have had trouble with their XYZ brand of reel.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Doug, I can only suggest you do your research and place zero reliance on the "I heard....." type of rumors. Tackle Shop rumor-mongering are not a reliable source of information. It's interesting you mention the 10000 and how happy you are with it because there have also been rumors about that and how they're being returned for warranty claims by the dozen and then of course, rumors that the reel stems on Saltigas are weak, not to mention God knows what else.

All of the reels in question have been proven in the heat of battle. A failure of some part of the reel does not necessarily mean there is an endemic problem with a reel. Over time, I have seen failures in most of the components of all the mainline reels but with the extreme pressure that GTs impose on equipment, it really isn't that much of a surprise.

The reality is that if someone wants a piece of equipment that simply is absolutely foolproof, I can only recommend the trusty handline.