Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coral Coast Fiji.
June 22, 2010, 09:20:46 PM
Hey guys heading to Fiji next easter for a popping trip on the coral coast. Got 5 days charter booked through ocean blue with a group. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience here, and how they found it. What size Gt's am I likely to encounter? I have a popping stick rated to P.e 8 and a jig rod to p.e 6 so i think that will do for this trip. Just wondering in anyone had any lure/ setup suggestions! Any Help would be much appreciated!

Cheers Clay

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Coral Coast Fiji.
June 23, 2010, 09:10:16 AM
I didn't fish the Coral Coast but when in Fiji (Matava) we encountered GT from about 8kg to 40kg....the vast majority of our fish were in the 15-25kg bracket

Also, it seems a lot of the territory there is reasonably friendly.

I think a PE8 rod will be fine and still good fun on the 20kg fish.

PE6 jig rod might be a bit light, what are you planning on doing with it? If you are just jigging around the reef for reefies, mackerely and stuff it will be fine....there are some seriously big yellowfin and dogtooth though in Fiji and if you are planning on targeting these (I don't know if there are any sea mounts or big drop offs where you are going...) I would suggest a PE8 or PE8-10 rod if you want to land a biggun....Lifting power becomes a real issue with the lighter rods on heavy fish...we landed a couple doggies over 60kg and I really don't know if that would have been possible on most PE6 rods.....chances of coming across that fish might be rare, so the PE6 will probably do for 97% of fish, just the question of whether you are prepared to lose the monster if you find him  :) 

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2010, 09:54:18 AM
Clay,

The reality is anwhere over in Fiji you can encounter BIG GT's.
As Scott has said the vast majority will be in the 8-25kg bracket which can caught on any patch of reef over there at certain stages of the tide.
PE 8 rod will be fine over there for popping.

Scott is spot on about the Jigging side of things too.

I would also take a lighter stick PE 2-3 to muck around in the shallows in close.
You get some really nice Bluefin Trevally,Cod,Small trout,Long nose emperors etc etc....
Great fun too.

Good luck.

Pete

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 27, 2010, 07:35:18 AM
Clay, there are numerous small passages dotting the barrier reef of the coral coast.
Key ones are
Sovi Bay
Korolevu
Baravi
Vatukarasa
This is where the action should be.
Get permission from the local if you are fishing inside the reef and outside the reef get a good skipper.

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 27, 2010, 07:41:33 AM
Hi Clay,
are you fishing at ONO island with Ocean Blue?
We went earlier this year and it was pretty cool. No 1 lure for us was the Heru Tuna 100g and 80g. Outfished the bigger and more $ lures, with a bonus of being very easy to work.
Definately take some lighter gear for use inside. Some small plastics and little poppers will help you fill in time if its too rough outside the reef.
Cheers
Doug

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 10:10:38 PM
Only a month out until my trip to the coral coast in Fiji, Getting super excited as this is my first dedicated GT popping trip. Just wondering if anyone had any recent reports from the area! Any specific lures you think i should invest in?

2 weeks after Fiji Im also heading to Exmouth to head out With a new sportsfishing charter called peak sportsfishing, I was just wondering if anyone had any idea as to what lures to use up around that area!

Thanks for your help guys it is going to be one amazing month of fishing  :P

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 10:22:49 PM

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 08:28:16 AM
Hey Clay,
I fished the coral coast last October with the boys I'm prety sure you'll be fishin with outta mango bay through ocean blue. As it was not the season for gts there at the time. The fishing was a bit slow but managed a few gz as the others have said above in the 15-25kg bracket. Lures that took most strikes were dark coloured ones in the 125-150ish range. If ur looking to invest in some for there I would look at PD master bomb 155, hammerheads etc and a way down the price range (but actually accounted for the biggest fish) the fishhead jai popper 130 in the pink head/ black body(can't remember the name).

As for the areas themselves it is a beautiful place to fish and had a heap of potential from wat I saw. I didn't do any lightcasting there that time but jus returned yesterday from Fiji (matava) and had bought myself a yamaga 75/4 and Stella 5 for the trip and let me say inside fishing on the reefs with the light gear is a must so much fun n variety. Go cheap on the small poppers (halco 47g/standout colour the fluro pink/yellow) as bust offs by fiesty red bass and the occasional bigger than average lagoon gt can lose u a few lures double time!

Anyways hope some of this helps n look forward to seeing ur report.
Cheers Sam.   

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 08:31:19 AM
Hi Clay, Well worthwhile taking a look here at Ewan's report from December.
http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3173.0

Gear wise for GT's in this area, cubera's 100/125's, sinking stickbaits etc. Good time of year to encounter GT's fattening up for winter!
I'd suggest taking some jigs to hit a new area & seamount the guys have found, puka puka, good doggies and unstoppable spooled jobs.

Fishing aside, the crew onboard are great fun, you'll have a heap of laughs and unique experience with them.

Cheers David
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:50:58 AM by David Noble

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 04:39:33 PM
 Thanks Dave, Had a look at the report when it came out and I was very impressed. The report was the main reason i went out and got myself a heavier jig rod! I didn't think they got doggies so close to the main island of Fiji! Still would like to know if anyone recently has fished fiji! What is this time of the year like for this area?

Jeff Larsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 08:06:10 PM
Good luck with your trip here in Fiji with the boys at Mango Bay.  I live 30 minutes down the road and see them out on the reef often.  Great operation and they will get you into some amazing territory here on the Coral Coast.  Make sure they get you out to the cakau lekaleka and vatulele island.  Have fun!

Gavin Swab

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 09:15:29 PM
Cant wait for the trip report !  I will be going to Ono in June/July. 

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 27, 2011, 09:30:01 PM
I was the trip with Ewan. For a cheap popper option grab a couple of Williamson jet poppers in purple black, Blue pilchard halcos, large.  Definitely take some subsurface sticks like dark runbohs or whatever.

Freddy, Johny  and Mikey will find you fish if they are around. Aim to fish the bottom of the tides for GT's.

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 02:49:12 AM
Good luck with your trip here in Fiji with the boys at Mango Bay.  I live 30 minutes down the road and see them out on the reef often.  Great operation and they will get you into some amazing territory here on the Coral Coast.  Make sure they get you out to the cakau lekaleka and vatulele island.  Have fun!

Very Very lucky man. I have been to this area before but it was on a marine conservation expedition on motriki and leluvia island, so unfortunately i didn't get to spend alot of time in the area. Can't wait to get back over there for a dedicated Gt trip.

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 02:51:44 AM
I was the trip with Ewan. For a cheap popper option grab a couple of Williamson jet poppers in purple black, Blue pilchard halcos, large.  Definitely take some subsurface sticks like dark runbohs or whatever.

Freddy, Johny  and Mikey will find you fish if they are around. Aim to fish the bottom of the tides for GT's.

Thanks Darren! I do have a couple of the Williamson jet poppers laying around but to be honest I wasn't going to take them, because they seem a tad tacky, but if you say its worthwhile taking them, then they will be going in the bag. I have a few runbohs, boparas and sinking tailwalks so I think they should suffice.