Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Drive Out Gudies Report 22 June 2010
June 23, 2010, 09:15:31 AM
Nick :- We decided to move further south today in search of some new territory and some more forgiving seas. We didn't manage to find that anywhere unfortunately. The wind was really not going to let up at any stage for us. We did however manage to find two GTs in amongst the weather beaten reefs and worked hard all day. We also managed to get some nice longtail tuna with poppers. Hard day at the office.

Chris:- well today was probably the roughest day we had. It made it hard to cast and hard to stay on spot, and even harder to spot bait. We still did pretty well. We moved further south today in hope of some better weather and hopefully some fantastic fishing. I fished my way down seeing the odd GT we hooked a really nice one but slack line got the better of us. At one stage we had barracuda mania. I have never seen so many barracuda in my life and it made for some good fishing on the light tackle these fish would have been from 8-15kg. It was pretty much one after the other and we were hooking these fish with in a metre from the boat if not closer. The afternoon session was good also catching goldspot, long toms and bludgers. I really hope this wind backs off tomorrow and brings some good conditions but there is something telling me it's not...

Tim - Well the weather was a factor to contend with as it blew and blew even more strongly as the day wore on. We decided Gt fishing was not a priority for us so flicked light gear around a lot of the day and had a ball actually, landing all the reef critters and the odd trevally to boot. We did have a short session with the big poppers and stickbaits and managed to get snipped off by Spaniards but also managed to land one.
Next was a troll along the drop offs and we got heaps of hits and short blistering runs but the fish would not stay on the hooks mostly, except for a few Barracuda. Next up we had an awesome session jigging with soft plastics and metal jigs. We got blown away regularly and I still don't know what some of them were. The session ended off with multiple hook ups with Coral Trout and a few into the boat for dinner. After lunch we had another session on plastics and lost a small Dogtooth Tuna right next to the boat, a very nice surprise indeed. Another surprise was a 4 kg Diamond Trevally on plastics, followed by a 10kg Spaniard on a plastic. All up a very trying and testing day due to the weather but we still had a lot of fun on the fish front

Alex- today was a very testing day for red dragon but the unstoppable dory took all the punishment from the weather on her chin and came in the winner. On the fishing front options were fairly limited due to the howling wind. The morning's highlight was a 25kg Spanish mack that went nuts on the light yamaga gear. The afternoon was a bit better but strange as unreal spots failed to raise any gts, in the end the best action was on the longtail tuna. We were trolling a few minnows around when a halco laserpro came back bibless and was reborn a stickbait and we had some awesome surface takes from big longtails in the 10-15kg range boating 2 from about 8 hook ups. Hopefully this wind decides it has annoyed us enough and leaves sooner rather than later.